Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Co-Pilot mode: I want to be primary driver, but use AP as Co-Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good discussion, regarding:

1. Tesla has this already - Some of it .. but could do much more. Today with EAP off, I can:
a. Drift across a double yellow line.
b. Drift into a bike lane or shoulder.
c. Change lanes into a car in my blind spot ( I'm not sure of this .. but I get no audible noise or wheel resistance when I test )
d. Hit a parked car or curb when parking at slow speed. Today I get an audible warning and visual "Stop" .. why not just stop for me ? If intend to go further then I press the accelerator.
2. Liability - there is already liability potential with collision avoidance so this shouldn't be much different.
3. Sensors / Cost - The basic set of features could be done with just a SW update. Perhaps more in the future with HW.
4. False calls - Yes the car will make false calls as it does in EAP mode. But we handle that now by taking control or stepping on the accelerator.
5. Steering wheel shaker / LDW exists - Yes .. again thats part of it. But it could be better. Make it audible, offer more resistance if the sensor says there is a car in my blind spot. Also this does not work at slower speed or side roads.
6. More ideas to make the car safer ?

Note that this would be an optional mode, I you prefer it as today.. thats the default.
I get your point but, to your ending question, it’s already optional. It’s called EAP. You turn it on , NoA is another level of optionality, for the car to do pretty much everything on your list. The plastic bag problem still exists and sometimes we have to overrule our car. Your suggestion would essentially mean that EAP was always on and has to be turned off or overruled by human. I’d be fine with the shaker shaking more.

Yeah, that's basically FSD. But it would be nice. Quite a liability problem if the car is competing with the driver for control.

However, I thought a couple of posters/You Tubers had described instances where the car took evasive action on its own while not in Autopilot to avoid a side collision. It certainly beeps if I aim at a slow moving car in front of me.
I made a thread about it but yes a semi was about to sideswipe my car and it pretty much drove completely out of the lane and onto the berm. I was not using autopilot at the time.

There are several safety feature additions Tesla could and should make that only require software updates.

Audible blind spot lane change warning(helpful since it’s not great to be looking at the screen )
Audible rear cross traffic alert
Surround view or whatever using existing cameras.

Reactions: Magnets!
Audible blind spot lane change warning(helpful since it’s not great to be looking at the screen )
That's there already, I think? I believe I triggered it once. Although it sounded to be exactly like the front distance warning, I'm pretty sure it was freaked out about an adjacent lane because it was a vehicle behind and to my right that was lit up red on the display.

It's not something that will come up often though, if you're doing a good job of mirror and shoulder checking. It was something of a false positive in this case, I think. I knew the other vehicle was there, I don't believe I was going into a bad position. Frankly I'm unclear on exactly why the alarm triggered. I don't have video to review and it's not something that's easy to test/reproduce.

That's there already, I think? I believe I triggered it once. Although it sounded to be exactly like the front distance warning, I'm pretty sure it was freaked out about an adjacent lane because it was a vehicle behind and to my right that was lit up red on the display.

It's not something that will come up often though, if you're doing a good job of mirror and shoulder checking. It was something of a false positive in this case, I think. I knew the other vehicle was there, I don't believe I was going into a bad position. Frankly I'm unclear on exactly why the alarm triggered. I don't have video to review and it's not something that's easy to test/reproduce.

Interesting...first I've heard of this and don't recall anything in the manual about it. Perhaps part of the general collision warning system?

Interesting...first I've heard of this and don't recall anything in the manual about it. Perhaps part of the general collision warning system?
I could be mistaken here. It was fleeting and I was in the middle of traffic so my attention was divided. Could easily have been errant observation in the moment on my part.

Alternatively it could also be very hard to trigger making it rare events so people don't talk about it much? The front collision alert seems to heavily weight speed differential over current absolute distance to the vehicle. That might have been what was going on there. Or it could even be that it correctly noticed something I didn't about the potential future.