Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coast to coast drive happening this year for all FSD Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it this year yet?
It is silly to take these Elon predictions seriously! We all know he is just guessing out of his a$$
when he thinks the coast to coast FSD demo will happen.
1. I never be able to let EAP / FSD making a left turn in a two way street intersection with no traffic light and moderate traffic..

2. Idem would be to exit a parking lot and making a left or a right turn into a street.

For me those situations would be a perfect Acid Test to validate FSD.

Basically, city driving is still very limited, if not almost impossible.

Note: in the case 2. you would need to have some camera located in front of the car and perpendicular on each side.
When I try to exit from a parking lot and I turn right to enter into a street, I have to look through the driver door window.

And most of the time I try to see the cars coming by looking inside the windshield of a car parked.
Try teaching a camera to do this.

Worse would be if the car parked has a sun-blind covering the windshield.
In this case you don't want to have the front of your car too much inside the right lane.
So you have to look not in front of the car park on the right,
but instead you need to look behind the car parked on the right,
to be able to watch the coming traffic.
I have to do this every time I exit from my garage, and this is still scary.

Last edited:
A coast to coast FSD demo would be around 2,700 miles of mostly highway driving. And at this point, I don't think NOA can do 2,700 miles of highway driving without a disengagement. Until it can at least do that, a coast to coast FSD demo is not going to happen.

A coast to coast FSD demo would be around 2,700 miles of mostly highway driving.
And at this point, I don't think NOA can do 2,700 miles of highway driving without a disengagement.
Until it can at least do that, a coast to coast FSD demo is not going to happen.
There are no words also about how the battery charging will occur?

Even if a car is able to find a supercharger, the car might just enter into the parking lot and stop in the middle.

I don't think the car will be able to select which supercharger is available, and back up into a free charging spot.

May be Tesla could install a robot arm inside the trunk of the car to grab a plug and insert it into the car plug?

Simpler would be to have a charging spot with a wireless charger below the car?

There are no words also about how the battery charging will occur?

Even if a car is able to find a supercharger, the car might just enter into the parking lot and stop in the middle.

I don't think the car will be able to select which supercharger is available, and back up into a free charging spot.

May be Tesla could install a robot arm inside the trunk of the car to grab a plug and insert it into the car plug?

Simpler would be to have a charging spot with a wireless charger below the car?

Tesla did demo a robotic arm that could charge the car but that project appears to have been abandoned now since we've not gotten any updates about it in years. I know wireless charging is inefficient compared to supercharging but I do think it would be a great solution for autonomous vehicles since the car would simply need to park above the charging pad and automatically start charging and does not require any moving parts.

And if the car could find a supercharger stall and park on its own but a person needed to get out and plug the charger in, I would not count that against the FSD demo.

But I was not really thinking about charging. I was thinking of the highway driving part itself. If NOA requires significant disengagements during the driving part, then FSD is definitely not ready for a coast to coast demo.

I'm not sure what the charging concern is for this demo. It would have people in the car, so they'd just plug the car in. That's the least important piece of this puzzle. As for not knowing whether FSD could do 2700 miles, I can give you a 3 mile stretch of highway with multiple failures. Let alone 1000x that distance.

The people with HW3 that got the fsd "preview" are still only seeing pictures of things, which isn't a preview of FSD functionality except rendering images. Nobody has seen major control changes preparing for FSD's arrival yet, and the smart summon update that was due "weeks" after initial update still hasn't materialized.

And, of course, FSD hardware upgrades are not even close to being complete yet. Somebody on Reddit bet me money, and I look forward to taking it from them if they don't try to back out of the gamble.

I'd happily participate in a CannonBall style run of Elon would comp me the FSD. :p
Does anyone remember that model Y prototype spotted in Florida with the dented side? It happened near the end of the year and so I was thinking it was a failed coast to coast attempt. Anyone see that? I’m definitely disappointed that they didn’t pull it off by end of 2019 which was my original prediction. I’m humbled and humiliated. I’m now Fodder for Blader’s sick and twisted burns

• Funny
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I mean, we knew half way through 2019 they were backpedaling. And we've seen nothing that would lead an independent party to believe that autonomous driving is any closer now than it was at the beginning of 2019. Then at the end-ish of 2019 we heard that Tesla was finishing up a "rewrite" of the AP system during an interview with Elon.

I don't think 2020 is looking good from where we are today. But. No reason to drag anybody about it.

^^^
Do note what was discovered today at When does the CA DMV autonomous driving report come out?. This time, instead of submitting a big fat 0 like all prior years except one, Tesla claims they did 12.2 miles of autonomous driving on CA public roads. It was only using 1 vehicle and in April 2019, the same month as "autonomy day".

Like I said on Twitter, I have a lot of questions based on this filing. And it's not a good sign that they've only reported 12 miles given how CA defines an autonomous vehicle for the purpose of that report. Either Tesla is skirting the definition by saying their vehicles can't conceivably be operated without a driver in the vehicle, or they're doing much less public roadway testing than they should be for a company that's going to release partial autonomous driving features in the near future.

Either way, the idea of summon from coast to coast and robotaxi isn't happening any time soon.