Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coast to coast drive happening this year for all FSD Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm hopeful this time is different, but I wouldn't quite go as far as calling it proof. :)
I'm just sceptical because it was a big event, with many explanatory words and a YouTube video.
Since then 2 weeks have passed and not a single new feature has been rolled out (rather, advanced summon was delayed and bugs lowering performance were found).
Let's hope the autopilot team shakeup electrek reports on just now will not delay things.
Tesla, please - prove my scepticism wrong!

Hopefully, Tesla not just does the coast to coast FSD but also releases the FSD software like Elon said so that we can duplicate the demo ourselves. Maybe the naysayers will finally shut up about "where's the coast to coast demo?" :)

Reactions: CK_Stuggi
Coast to cost will never happen unless they have new software for all of us. Driving in moderate rain kicks it down a notch from NOA to TACC. In snow or heavy rain TACC turns off. Whoever is doing the FSD software needs to turn off their simulators and start driving their software in real weather.

They do have better software as evidenced by what we saw during Autonomy Investor Day and the FSD demo and test drives. I am pretty sure AP3 won't get kicked out under heavy rain like the current NOA does. AP3 has better neural nets that will be able to process what the cameras see.

They do have better software as evidenced by what we saw during Autonomy Investor Day and the FSD demo and test drives. I am pretty sure AP3 won't get kicked out under heavy rain like the current NOA does. AP3 has better neural nets that will be able to process what the cameras see.
Beside bad weather limitations, sunny days can also be a issue for detecting red light, stop signs...,
like being between Scylla and Charybdis or a rock and a hard place when the sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down...

Reactions: jsmay311
The sun isn't actually an issue for the forward facing cameras. @verygreen has a picture/video about it.

Did you see this video? Sun behind the car makes things difficult. But given that others have solved this issue, I guess Tesla will figure this out as well.

"nice touch - if it is unsure of current light status - it would approach the intersection carfully so it can stop gently should it actually be a red light - see at 6:26"

"So now the problems. it's actually not very robust at telling red from green in some conditions, see at timestamp 4:05 how it flipflops. and then nearly runs a red light at 5:12 and I need to intervene."

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and Inside
I will give them the benefit of the doubt for making it work in heavy rain. I am going to remain highly skeptical about their ability to keep it working in the snow. Given who quickly it gave out last winter in any snow event, I would consider it only a fair weather FSD system.

Reactions: jsmay311
I will give them the benefit of the doubt for making it work in heavy rain. I am going to remain highly skeptical about their ability to keep it working in the snow. Given who quickly it gave out last winter in any snow event, I would consider it only a fair weather FSD system.

Interestingly, I think Elon or Karpathy actually mentioned during the Autonomy Investor Day presentation that they are working on getting it working in snow and it works pretty well. I guess the vision neural net can detect the tracks in the snow from other cars or maybe detect the difference between packed snow on the roads versus undisturbed snow on the side of the road but they said the vision actually can predict correctly where the road is even covered under snow.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up

AP3 doesn't have "better neural nets" it simply has more compute ability. Solving edge cases such as weather or other anomalous conditions isn't (at least initially) a compute problem, it's a data curation and learning problem as well as a software problem. If AP2.5 could do sunny day FSD and AP3.0 was required for rainy day FSD, we'd have seen sunny day FSD alerady.

People are putting way too much faith in Tesla being able to "compute" their way out of it. There are already far more powerful computers out there (in data centers) that still cannot do autonomy. If compute were the only issue, we'd just have really slow autonomy - like you said in your first sentence, it's about the software.

AP3 doesn't have "better neural nets" it simply has more compute ability. Solving edge cases such as weather or other anomalous conditions isn't (at least initially) a compute problem, it's a data curation and learning problem as well as a software problem. If AP2.5 could do sunny day FSD and AP3.0 was required for rainy day FSD, we'd have seen sunny day FSD alerady.

People are putting way too much faith in Tesla being able to "compute" their way out of it. There are already far more powerful computers out there (in data centers) that still cannot do autonomy. If compute were the only issue, we'd just have really slow autonomy - like you said in your first sentence, it's about the software.

AP3 doesn't have better trained networks yet, but it will very soon. AP2.5 has been running on compressed footage, and more computing power will let them process uncompressed footage and presumably create deeper, richer neural nets.

Reactions: hcdavis3 and mongo
AP3 doesn't have better trained networks yet, but it will very soon. AP2.5 has been running on compressed footage, and more computing power will let them process uncompressed footage and presumably create deeper, richer neural nets.

Sure, I have no doubt the additional fidelity will allow the individual algos to discern information not possible today, your second point here is a great one and likely very true - and with that, there will be a lot of better filtering of noise caused by visual issues exacerbated by weather.

I think you'll find that people who have some background in this topic are less convinced than those who do not. Regardless, what's invisible to all of us is how well Tesla's classification and clustering is working in the back-end, on the software side. Compute will help with the latter, assuming the classification is solid in the first place, as well a regression or other reasoning and decision making algorithms. However, we don't know much about the classification aspect of Tesla's process upon which everything else hinges. Maybe it's really great!

Reactions: willow_hiller