TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Coast to Coast Superchargers to be online 4-6 weeks

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by NoMoGas, Dec 9, 2013.

1. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Just got off the phone with Tesla with some really good news. They have changed the supercharger site so the Winter 2013 now reads Coming Soon and that is supposed to translate to 4-6 weeks. If that holds, coast to coast and down the I-95 corridor will be up by mid to end of January.

The exact quote I was given was "we are currently building more SuoerCharger stations than we have operational.

Now that's good news. :love:

2. David Rhee

David Rhee Member

If it's true then this is a fantastic news! I can't wait!

3. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Hope this is true.

4. laalan

laalan Member

Hoping for Indio this week! My wish for Santa

5. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

They need to add the 90 corridor before I will call it coast to coast :)

6. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Excellent, thanks for the update.

In other news, I will NOT be holding my breath for a retraction form those who stated that Tesla has given up said "to hell with us" regarding the rollout...

7. caddieo

caddieo Member

Snowbirds/sunbirds in the east can rejoice at the coming completion of the I-95 corridor but the country's midsection is still shortchanged. Snowbirds/sunbirds in the Midwest still face too many gaps along the I-75. I-65 and I-57 corridors.

8. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Can this Alaskan have the Christmas hope that one of the coasts referred to is that of the Arctic Ocean? :tongue:

9. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Too bad "4-6 weeks" typically means "4-6 months" coming from Tesla.

10. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

FORTY STATIONS, TODAY. Rock and Roll!

11. Thumper

Thumper Member

IF it is true that Tesla is currently building more than are in service, then there are 22 unknown locations under the shovel. The Wiki map shows 40 red dots and 18 with little cones. Where are the other 22?

12. gene

gene Active Member

I wish it could be as well. I make the drive from So Cal to Inuvik NWT and over to Alaska at least every other summer. I'll be making the drive this summer but in my Dodge Cummins, 18 mpg :( I'll try not to be a cheapskate, I just won't look at the price on the diesel pumps sure to add up to $2500 or so round trip!

13. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Well, for Wisconsin, I helped light up Mauston last Thursday, Madison, pleasant prairie, Eau Claire, and Onalaska are ACTIVLY being built, so that's 4 more just in WI with a total of 5 by years end!

14. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I just counted and it is now 42

15. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

The rollout of "Elon Musk's personal roadtrip route", which nobody in their right mind would take, is a big "to hell with you" to people such as myself hoping to use (for example) the Jackson, MI charger which appears to have been cancelled entirely. As I said.

- - - Updated - - -

If they include Erie, PA, or London, Ontario and something in eastern Michigan, all is forgiven :)

16. gene

gene Active Member

Actually, for us Westerners, the route that is being assembled through Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado is a very highly traveled route. It is a wonderful vacation route that I travel at least once if not twice a year. It is by far the better scenic route from coast to coast, and it adds only a few miles over the most direct, boring route. I am very pleased as are a number of my friends, all of us very much in our "right minds".

17. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

The California to Las Vegas, Flagstaff, and Phoenix Supercharger deployment is totally reasonable.

Flagstaff to Denver is ridiculous, and manages to get you neither to Albuquerque nor to Salt Lake City. It's not *practical*, it's just Elon's personal road trip.

Chicago to South Dakota is reasonable for what it is, but it doesn't really get you Chicago to Denver or anything likely to be used by most people.

Cheyenne is OK for people heading north from Denver to anywhere...

But Wyoming is the lowest-population state in the country, and the chances of anyone in their right mind driving through Wyoming from Denver to South Dakota... well, you'd only do it if you were *specifically* going to Mt. Rushmore.

So, basically, the "coast to coast" deployment is based on one man's quixotic road trip, and to hell with anyone trying to make any other trips. It is what it is -- being CEO has its privileges.

And I wouldn't complain, except that they advertised an entirely different deployment schedule which they've now abandoned.

18. mark

mark Member

Looking at the" coming soon" chart makes me wonder:
    Who will be first to drive from Vancouver to Miami via LA and Chicago? And how long will that take? :smile:

19. gene

gene Active Member

Again, this is a "dream" route for us westerners. Takes us through the very best of the beautiful Southwest/ 4 corners. Should you ever travel out this way, your camera would be clicking away and you'd remember this section fondly. One of my concerns was that the Superchargers would only follow the most direct, overcrowded with 18 wheeler's routes. I am very pleased to take the path less traveled.

This is not the end of the Supercharger construction. All good things will come to all. I know you are very happy with your Model S, in another year things will be really great!

20. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

No good deed goes unpunished around here.