Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coat hooks fail to latch closed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my recently purchased Model Y, at delivery I had a coat hook that failed to latch in the closed position.

Yesterday, the mobile technician came out to replace the assembly. However, the new assembly, which operated correctly prior to installation, no longer did so once installed, and the original assembly operated correctly once uninstalled. Upon investigating this problem together with the tech, it was discovered that there was a tag on the airbag which was interfering with the latching mechanism once installed in place, as the mechanism is externally accessible from behind. Tucking away the tag resolved the problem. Apparently, this is not something that Tesla was yet aware of, and may have been replacing numerous coat hooks for reasons not caused by the assembly.

I am posting this information for anyone that finds their coat hook not latching.

Reactions: cancoi
In my recently purchased Model Y, at delivery I had a coat hook that failed to latch in the closed position.

Yesterday, the mobile technician came out to replace the assembly. However, the new assembly, which operated correctly prior to installation, no longer did so once installed, and the original assembly operated correctly once uninstalled. Upon investigating this problem together with the tech, it was discovered that there was a tag on the airbag which was interfering with the latching mechanism once installed in place, as the mechanism is externally accessible from behind. Tucking away the tag resolved the problem. Apparently, this is not something that Tesla was yet aware of, and may have been replacing numerous coat hooks for reasons not caused by the assembly.

I am posting this information for anyone that finds their coat hook not latching.
Thanks for posting this. Did they have to drop the headliner to replace the coat hook? I have a similar problem and mobile service did move the tag out of the way, but I still have to lightly lift to close and some times that doesn't work at all. I have a service appointment to replace the entire assembly and curious what the install process looks like?

Did they have to drop the headliner to replace the coat hook? I have a similar problem and mobile service did move the tag out of the way, but I still have to lightly lift to close and some times that doesn't work at all. I have a service appointment to replace the entire assembly and curious what the install process looks like?
It is a very long and involved process, as the front and rear halves of the headliner are attached together with several screws on each side, and they are very difficult to access. Then, after separating them, it is difficult to get the coat-hook assembly out. It was about a one-hour process if everything were to go right.

Unfortunately for me, it did not. After 2.5 hours, my tech could not even get the headliner properly remounted and gave up. Because of the damage he caused, and the soiling of the headliner working on it for so long, both front and rear halves will have to be replaced. I was very unhappy with the work. If I had know what was going to happen, I would have left the non-operating latch alone. I had thought it would be a simple replacement; but it was not designed for serviceability.

It is a very long and involved process, as the front and rear halves of the headliner are attached together with several screws on each side, and they are very difficult to access. Then, after separating them, it is difficult to get the coat-hook assembly out. It was about a one-hour process if everything were to go right.

Unfortunately for me, it did not. After 2.5 hours, my tech could not even get the headliner properly remounted and gave up. Because of the damage he caused, and the soiling of the headliner working on it for so long, both front and rear halves will have to be replaced. I was very unhappy with the work. If I had know what was going to happen, I would have left the non-operating latch alone. I had thought it would be a simple replacement; but it was not designed for serviceability.
Thanks for the information. I'm honestly going to skip getting my coat hook replaced and live with a semi functional one. My biggest fear is the service team doing more damage than good like exactly how you described it. I've already experienced it when they removed the passenger door panel and broke the clip that holds the tweeter speaker tight to the door. I can't trust them with an even more involved process.