Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coated windshield impacting door openers and EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mount your transponder (FasTrak, EZPass, work gate unit, etc) behind the nose cone. if you can, get an exterior/license plate unit. If not, seal up the unit with Plastidip. Use heavy duty Velcro). Mount to the back of the nose cone if the unit is light plastic. Mount to the front of the black bumper (and add a zip tie) if it is heavy. Works for me. Please search these forums for way too many options/opinions. And, yes, neither my 2013 nor my wife's 2015 S have a 'sweet spot' in the windshield that works with the FasTrak.
While this is a good alternative, in SoCal there are toll lanes where one can ride solo toll-free with a white HOV sticker plus a special FasTrak transponder with a three position switch set to "3." The nosecone transponders don't have a switch and will result in a toll.

Yeah, I have a end May/early June build 70D. Only black dots in a thin line around top of windshield and not much if any black area by camera. My work garage passive transponder does not work anywhere, tried it exhaustively for several minutes in just about every position. Sucks! Every day I have to now open the sunroof and hold it up or role down the window and reach way around outside towards center of windshield as much as possible. Not a huge pain but it will be more when its snowing/cold/etc.

i was told by SC that with the newest cars the windshield blocks transmission again. the original windshields were 'defective', then they started making windshields where the black dot area actually worked, but then they had to switch something again and all new windshields now block the transmission again so the only solution here is behind the nose cone.

All new MS are rolling out with a black area that allows EZPass transponders to work. I've attached a picture off my car (July 2015 build).

Tesla_Windshield.jpg

While this is a good alternative, in SoCal there are toll lanes where one can ride solo toll-free with a white HOV sticker plus a special FasTrak transponder with a three position switch set to "3." The nosecone transponders don't have a switch and will result in a toll.

Correct. You folks in SoCa have been dealing with switchable transponders for a while. So here in NoCA they are rolling out (...pardon the pun) the FasTrak Flex transponders with the 3 position switch. Since the S with the white HOV stickers qualifies, I got a new Flex transponder, switched it to #3, taped over the switch and small speaker hole, gave the unit a few coats of spray-on white PlastiDip, and Velcroed it to the back side of the nose cone. Works great--and I'm all set for bridges, regular commute lanes, the pay-for-speed lanes, etc. I sort of tried to imply this in my 'condensed' explanation where I did not specify the type of internal transponder. FWIW, the new Flex one replaces a 'fixed-unswitchable' license plate version previously Velcroed to the black bumper beam behind the nose cone (...as noted above).

- - - Updated - - -

All new MS are rolling out with a black area that allows EZPass transponders to work. I've attached a picture off my car (July 2015 build).

View attachment 91723

...finally.....

My service center rep mounted it twice in the nose cone (black external unit) and it still wouldn't work for the SFO parking lot, so finally I had them take it out, and I'm back to holding it up through the sunroof. Any idea why? Is the angle in the nose cone wrong when the sensor is above like in parking garages?

heard from my NY EZ pass Customer service agent that ez pass is designing a special ez pass just for Teslas's. Wonder what it will do, type, etc. a s I will not mount on the external Lic plate (I have 2 internal and lic plate type i tried). I am using within the black area as mine is July Build.

Rhode Island offers "EZ pass" transponders that are external. If you are in a state with front license plate, you can get one from RI (even if you dont live in RI).
E-ZPass - TransponderFaq

I am currently trying out different locations under the nose cone because VA has HOT-3 lanes that are free if you have 3 people in car (I usually do), so would prefer to stick to the one I have(ezpass has a switch on it).

The "black area" to the right of the RV mirror, is WAYYY too small for ezpass. Plus, we have a garage transponder also!

Cool feature suggestion would be a pocket for these under nose cone.

Anyone have any new suggestions for this?

I stick my hand out the window for now to get it to work, the RFID readers are awkwardly placed, so I need to pull up real close to get my work garage to open (my bumper is probably a few inches under the closed gate).

I tried placing it everywhere I could think of inside the car (I have AP, and the windshield does NOT have the ez-pass cutout), left of the mirror, right of the mirror, close to the driver, close to the passenger, by the triangle window near the A-pillar, by the sunroof, etc. etc. etc. the only thing that works is sticking my hand out.

And yes, I asked the building if they have an externally mounted one, they looked confused, after explaining why I need it, they asked "how does your ez-pass work?" umn... "it doesn't, it's externally mounted". Apparently I was the first person to ask.

I have a 91 Express Lanes weatherproof "license plate bracket" transponder zip tied to a crossmember behind our 2015 P85D's nose cone (without a front license plate. This allows me to drive the 91 Express Lanes FREE almost any time... without having a special "inside windshield" FasTrak transponder with a three position switch set to "3". Has worked flawlessly for 10 months now. Requires a 91 Express Lanes form to be completed and delivered to one of their offices in person with your Tesla... and they have to put the Tesla on a separate EV vehicle only account.

This option eliminates the special FasTrak transponder with a three position switch transponder which is only designed to be INside cars.

I have a 91 Express Lanes weatherproof "license plate bracket" transponder zip tied to a crossmember behind our 2015 P85D's nose cone (without a front license plate. This allows me to drive the 91 Express Lanes FREE almost any time... without having a special "inside windshield" FasTrak transponder with a three position switch set to "3". Has worked flawlessly for 10 months now. Requires a 91 Express Lanes form to be completed and delivered to one of their offices in person with your Tesla... and they have to put the Tesla on a separate EV vehicle only account.

This option eliminates the special FasTrak transponder with a three position switch transponder which is only designed to be INside cars.
Thanks, Don. Good to know there's an alternative for CA-91 Express lanes. However, I'm not at all confident that would work for the Metro managed toll lanes (I-10, I-110). (The OC Toll lanes do not provide any discount for HOVs or EVs. Wusses.)