Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coated windshield impacting door openers and EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, as TEG points out above the Roadster also has the coated windshield but I never experienced any problems with handheld garage door openers.

I think not all do. It was optional.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Upgrades-Review?p=90297&viewfull=1#post90297
...my (new to me 2.0) roadster is at tesla getting some service/upgrades. i asked to install a solar guard windshield. they emailed after i left to make certain i was okay with the negative impact the solar guard windshield apparently has on radio reception...

What's wrong with using the spot below the mirror?
Why does this thread consist of 50% posts that keep saying the spot below the mirror does work, and the other 50% keep blissfully ignoring that?

Agreed, I have no problem with this. I have never mounted my EzPass due to infrequent use and multiple vehicles and I have no problem placing the unit as needed. Doubt I would even need to look anymore to place it properly.

I think not all do. It was optional.

Yes it was an option, at least on the 08 but I believe it is a different coating. I did have this option and never had any real problem with the EzPass in any location whereas in the S it will definitely not read even when slowing to a crawl if it is not in the correct spot.

Maybe I should have included the meme.

Are you fine with these basic problems?

Heh, you OK over there? :smile:

I've got quite the list of things going that I'm sharing with the ownership and service teams. All minor -- to me at least. And that includes some of the items you mention. However, the car itself is just SO AWESOME that it trumps these things. I practically don't care about them. I LOVE the car and how it drives. That's the most important thing to me. Everything else is just nit-picking to me. (to be clear, I feel like *I* would be nit-picking ... I'm not saying your or anyone else here is nit-picking)

However, the car itself is just SO AWESOME that it trumps these things. I practically don't care about them. I LOVE the car and how it drives. That's the most important thing to me. Everything else is just nit-picking to me. (to be clear, I feel like *I* would be nit-picking ... I'm not saying your or anyone else here is nit-picking)

I think people are missing this part - thanks for repeating. I don't think there is a single car on the market that could withstand this level of scrutiny and not have a list of issues. But there is no other car on the market that will provide the thrill. Driving electric makes you feel like a kid again.

Heh, you OK over there? :smile:

I was kind of looking for a way to say that...

I've got quite the list of things going that I'm sharing with the ownership and service teams. All minor -- to me at least. And that includes some of the items you mention. However, the car itself is just SO AWESOME that it trumps these things. I practically don't care about them. I LOVE the car and how it drives. That's the most important thing to me. Everything else is just nit-picking to me. (to be clear, I feel like *I* would be nit-picking ... I'm not saying your or anyone else here is nit-picking)

Sounds like the best car ever. :)

Agreed Bonnie...folks need to experience the thrill of driving electric for a few weeks before going off on tangents...I think that most would feel exactly as cinergi posted..."...a thrill to drive" and "...problems are minor."

I think people are missing this part - thanks for repeating. I don't think there is a single car on the market that could withstand this level of scrutiny and not have a list of issues. But there is no other car on the market that will provide the thrill. Driving electric makes you feel like a kid again.

I just need some Tylenol.

Here ya go :smile:
prd_2_2_rrg_lg_ye.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. I empathize with everyone here who's feeling let down, irritated, etc. Because I was really beginning to lose it. And I haven't even shared everything that I went through. I'm much happier now that I have the car. I have battle-wounds ... and I'm in constant contact with a few Tesla folks who directly control and influence training, the delivery process, post-delivery ownership experiences, etc. And they're taking my feedback to heart. And it's because I'm having a very open, painful, but constructive conversation with them. Now, some of this is probably because I owned a Roadster and have previous contacts inside Tesla. Some of what I've had has been the result of (what I think was) a well-worded long email to George with the sole purpose of informing him of what I went through so 1) he would be aware and 2) would have the details he needed to improve the process. I didn't ask for anything, I didn't flame anyone, etc. It was all a "I know you're trying and care deeply, but this XYZ blah blah stuff I went through sucks, and I wanted you to know. Let me know if I can be of further assistance."
Anyway, veering off topic here ...

And I for one am grateful that you are doing that, cinergi! Open, honest, and careful communication with constructive criticism will only make Tesla better, and for many of us conflict is too often avoided. Conflict in itself is not bad, it's the way one acts during conflict that makes a difference. Since many of us do not have contacts we need people like you to represent us customers (and, ahem, put in a word for us info-starved Canucks, eh? :biggrin:)

<snip> And I haven't even shared everything that I went through. I'm much happier now that I have the car. I have battle-wounds ... and I'm in constant contact with a few Tesla folks who directly control and influence training, the delivery process, post-delivery ownership experiences, etc. And they're taking my feedback to heart. And it's because I'm having a very open, painful, but constructive conversation with them. Now, some of this is probably because I owned a Roadster and have previous contacts inside Tesla. Some of what I've had has been the result of (what I think was) a well-worded long email to George with the sole purpose of informing him of what I went through so 1) he would be aware and 2) would have the details he needed to improve the process. I didn't ask for anything, I didn't flame anyone, etc. It was all a "I know you're trying and care deeply, but this XYZ blah blah stuff I went through sucks, and I wanted you to know. Let me know if I can be of further assistance."
Anyway, veering off topic here ...

And I for one am grateful that you are doing that, cinergi! Open, honest, and careful communication with constructive criticism will only make Tesla better, and for many of us conflict is too often avoided. Conflict in itself is not bad, it's the way one acts during conflict that makes a difference. Since many of us do not have contacts we need people like you to represent us customers (and, ahem, put in a word for us info-starved Canucks, eh? :biggrin:)

+1000

Get out of car to fold mirrors.
Yup, if you need to fold in the passenger mirror, you gotta get out or ask your passenger to do it
Roll down windows to use EZ Pass
Nope, works fine in the area of the windshield clearly marked for this, and a plate mounted transponder works great and protects you just a tiny bit from bumper scratches
Roll down windows to use garage door opener.
If homelink doesn't work, try 100 times to get it recognized, otherwise, use roll down window technique.
Didn't take quite 100 times for me.
Ship incomplete car; install child seats for "most precious cargo" later
AFAIK the LATCH system is intact for your most precious cargo's seats. The rear facing seats are on backorder, just like the hatch covers. Big deal. If you'd rather not have your car until those are ready, I'm sure they'll sit on it at the factory for a few more weeks
Cubby later
see above
Blurry windshield causing some to get nauseated
make "some" "one." There is a small band of distortion at the bottom edge. You can see the hood through it. I don't look there, so don't notice it. Others have noted many cars have this
Squeaky sun roof
again, one, AFAIK
Unraveling B pillar leather
speculation
Wipers too slow
subjective
Handles get stuck in cold weather
? 1st I've heard
Glove box holds max of one wooden pencil and one business envelope
Still two cup holders, four if you get child seats (see above)
Rely on innovative Tesla customer to design and sell cup holder and storage device for luxury priced car
glove box is actually quite large. Obviously doesn't make up for a big cavernous center console. between the cubby, seat pocket, and glove box I seem to have room for just about everything for now. Am looking forward to the CCI options when they become available from Tesla, Soflauthor, and other 3rd party options
No "Oh ****" handles
Get sunroof so head doesn't touch roof in back
trade-offs. design decisions. Way more head room than my Beetle had in the back, lowest CoE...
defroster?
Windshield vent?
both there, work great
Best. Car. Ever!
Yup, there I agree. Is everything exactly the way I would have done it? Maybe not. Is there any car I don't have some gripe or another with? Nope. Is the Model S still the greatest car I have ever driven / owned? Yup.

You cant fold your mirror in by rolling down the window? You have to get out?

All my cars (with folding mirrors, manual or automatic) I could roll down the window and fold the driver's side in very easily. Is that not the case with the Model S.

I didn't try it on my test drive, but it seemed to be reachable from the driver's seat.

First off: thank you all for being early adopters. I'm fairly early (expecting Dec/Jan delivery) but I suspect my car will have fewer problems thanks to you all.

Second, as a long-time BMW owner:
Still two cup holders, four if you get child seats (see above)
Rely on innovative Tesla customer to design and sell cup holder and storage device for luxury priced car
sounds just like BMW.

Best. Car. Ever!

This is the best car I've ever owned without a doubt. Granted, I've never owned anything nicer than a Volvo S80 (in terms of a sedan) though. Things have not rolled out smoothly as I'd have liked but they are working around the clock. I received two e-mails last night from Tesla after 11PM and when I replied, they responded back. They are basically working around the clock.

I could make a list like that for almost any car. Homelink worked fine for me. No squeaky pano roof. Have you seen the glove compartment? You're describing the Roadster's glovebox, not the Model S. It is fairly big and can fit the manuals, sunglasses in a case...etc

You've got great people up there in Chicago to take care of you when you get your car. Most of these issues you've listed should be addressed by the time you get your car anyway. It's the people up front who are dealing with most of these.

Just to add again for the EZ Pass: I went to the local EZ Pass place and indeed it fails through the glass but he said try it up in the black paint to the right of the mirror and it works. I have it mounted right up against the plastic mount on the right of the mirror mount and up against the top of the windshield frame and works great.

Just to add again for the EZ Pass: I went to the local EZ Pass place and indeed it fails through the glass but he said try it up in the black paint to the right of the mirror and it works. I have it mounted right up against the plastic mount on the right of the mirror mount and up against the top of the windshield frame and works great.

I put mine directly below the mirror as they said. Can you take a picture of the location you got it to work? I assume I'll have to order a replacement since you can't peel them off easily. Thanks.