TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Coated windshield impacting door openers and EZpass

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by cinergi, Oct 17, 2012.

1. contaygious

contaygious Member

I have no front bracket so that doesn't sound good. I'm suprised a car made in the Bay Area wouldn't support a Bay Area toll transponder. Can someone please comment if they are able to get theirs working behind the glass somehow?

2. RichardM

RichardM New Member

I have had similar experience. On the Dulles Toll Road in Nothern VA, my EZPass transponder doesn't work when mounted to the right or to the left of the rear view mirror. I haven't tried it below the mirror. Works fine when I open the sunroof and hold it up!

3. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Currently, this is the only problem I have with the car that is a serious problem for me. I have two transponders, one for the tolls here, and one for the community where I live. Neither of them is working at the spot discussed in this thread. Here in Florida we do not have front license plates, and even if we did, it wouldn't work because we also have "Express lanes" where you pay using a transponder to use them -- unless you are driving an EV, in which case it is free. If the transponder is there, you will be charged, whether you are supposed to be or not. So mounting it out of disabling reach will not work (or will cost more). This thread has been quiet for a while. Any new successes????

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I've had sporadic success holding my sunpass on the backside of the mirror.. Not against the glass, but the mirror itself. Got to be a sweet spot there about....

5. napabill

napabill Active Member

In that case it reverts from EasyPass to FreePass.

6. robaross

robaross P4550

If my windshield is broken by a stone and needs to be replaced, do I need to contact Tesla service or could I use a mobile service like Autoglass USA, and if so perhaps the glass won't be coated and Sunpass, gate openers, and radar detectors will then work?

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They'd have to have the exact glass shape and my guess is that they won't have Tesla's so they would have to order the windshield from Tesla.

8. contaygious

contaygious Member

Update: I drove through golden gate 3 times and bay bridge once and it worked fine by holding the fast pass behind the mirror and to the right. No issues because I have long arms.

9. strider

strider Active Member

+1 Drove from the Factory across 92 today and holding the FastTrak transponder on the dots to the right of the mirror worked fine. I don't have long arms (physically average) and it worked just fine. Wife hasn't tried it yet. May just stick it to the windshield in that spot w/ the velcro and she can remove it if needed during commute time.

10. Electric Machete

Express Lanes are free for EVs in Florida? I thought we could just drive the HOV lane.

Which SunPass style were you using? I have the RF kind that is just a sticker. Same but smaller kind for my development. Nothing that uses a battery.

11. aviators99

I have tried both the very old kind that takes a battery, and the newer (Sunpass Plus) that doesn't take a battery but is removable. Yes, the Express Lanes are free for EVs, so the sticker doesn't work for me. I have tried everything, at this point. I now need to try my Sunpasses in someone else's car, to prove or disprove that it's a bad windshield.

12. radinator

radinator Member

I was wondering if putting the transponder in the trunk would work. Maybe velcro it to the parcel shelf or somewhere else in the trunk area?

13. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Well, FWIW, I spent some time on the highway today in Florida ... and this position has been the best success I've had using our SunPass.

20121213_124218.jpg

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I installed my EZpass (Texas) exactly below the mirror where it is supposed to be and it didn't work. They used my plate instead.

15. aviators99

Hard to tell what you're doing in this picture. Are you pressing the SunPass against the back of the mirror or against the windshield?

16. timdorr

timdorr Model S P1698 / VIN 1657

I know it's a bit chilly out at the moment and this may seem a bit silly, but what about opening up the pano roof and holding it up in the open space?

17. Electric Machete

Has anyone found success using RFID type passes? In Florida, SunPass has three varieties. Two that require batteries and one that is a passive RFID sticker. When I lived up North EZ Pass was a battery powered unit, but I am wondering if they have progressed to passive RFID as well.

- - - Updated - - -

It rains just about every day in the Summer here in Florida. No way is this an option for me. I prefer to remain dry while driving.

18. steve841

steve841 Active Member

It's just against the back of the mirror and pushed up resting against the mirror mounting bracket.

No windshield contact at all.

19. Electric Machete

Ugh. That's annoying. I just want to stick the SunPass Mini to the glass and be done with it. Have you tried one of those yet?

20. steve841

steve841 Active Member

My OCD with my vehicle prevents me from sticking anything to the windows .... that SunPass stays hidden any other time.