Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coated windshield impacting door openers and EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just looking at the EZ Pass webpage in order to change the make/model of my car. And guess what? No Tesla!?!? There is the option of "Other" which seems really lame. Anyone else find Tesla as an option?

I used "other" when registering the Model S with EZ Pass in New Jersey. Definitely lame, but I don't see any way it will impact the service. I give them 12 months to figure it out. Anyone interested in the under?

Finally solved my problem. Florida has come out with a new form factor of Sunpass, called "SunPass Slim". It is approximately 5" x 1". It works on my windshield if mounted directly below the center of the mirror mount. None of the others worked in that spot (or anywhere else, for me).

eGoSunPassPortableSlim-a.jpg

Finally solved my problem. Florida has come out with a new form factor of Sunpass, called "SunPass Slim". It is approximately 5" x 1". It works on my windshield if mounted directly below the center of the mirror mount. None of the others worked in that spot (or anywhere else, for me).

View attachment 14684

Hey aviators99,

Do you think that the new SunPass has better electronics which explains why it's a better solution?

I was just looking at the Good To Go info for WA's pass info, they have some customer centers you can go to and test if you pass is in a working location. But they also have a PDF that tells you if your windshield is metalized and you should get the license plate mounted tag instead. The PDF says license plate tag is required, and they list the model X :)

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/77735B79-209C-4975-8FB5-69DC1B35C1B2/0/Metallized_Windshield_List_2013.pdf
Tesla
Model S All Metallized Windshield LPP Required. Windshield prevents use of Standard Pass
Model X All Metallized Windshield LPP Required. Windshield prevents use of Standard Pass
Roadster All Metallized Windshield LPP Required. Windshield prevents use of Standard Pass

guess I need a different pass type. The other question is what to do until license plates arrive since the pass mounts on the plate instead of the windshield... free tolls for a awhile? -- nevermind, see the directions are it mounts using the screw holes for the plate so no plate required to install.

Last edited:
+1 Drove from the Factory across 92 today and holding the FastTrak transponder on the dots to the right of the mirror worked fine. I don't have long arms (physically average) and it worked just fine. Wife hasn't tried it yet. May just stick it to the windshield in that spot w/ the velcro and she can remove it if needed during commute time.

My FasTrak transponder didn't work yesterday through the 92 toll plaza when placed in the exact same spot. Don't know how they'll track down this violation given that there are no plates yet on the car... Can their cameras zoom in and capture the tiny temporary registration sticker or the VIN number, I wonder?! :)

Not sure what I can do different through the carpool lane of the 84 Dumbarton toll plaza tomorrow morning short of sticking my hand out through the window (no pano roof) - crossing this bridge through the carpool lane is my daily ritual. Maybe, under the mirror mount instead of to the right?!

I may just have to bite the bullet and order and mount that fugly front license plate transponder. Yuck!

I may just have to bite the bullet and order and mount that fugly front license plate transponder. Yuck!

I intend to remove the nose cone and somehow secure the license transponder within that area. Assuming it works should be a win win. No white square transponder velcroed to the windshield. Too bad they can't make some kind of transponder for the hov lanes instead of the stickers