Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coated windshield impacting door openers and EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use it successfully straight under the rear view mirror mount cheating to the passenger side of center.

I think manufacturing tolerances vary in different cars.

Tried this today; no dice. Another violation maybe. Waiting for the front plate exterior transponder now. Sticking the interior transponder out the window till I get the exterior one :(

Although I'm not thrilled with the difficulty in getting EZ-Pass to work, I will say that I take some comfort in the really long list of vehicles on their web site for which the windshield transponder does not work, and for which they recommend the license plate transponder. It's certainly not just the Model S.

Does the Model S windshield block the FasTrak signal?

I'm a Bay Area driver and noticed that my FasTrak device is not being picked up by FasTrak toll readers. I used to have a Volvo that had to have the reader mounted outside the car. Is that the case here? In checking my account, my last toll read was 12/24, which was the day i got my new S and traded in the old car.

I'm a Bay Area driver and noticed that my FasTrak device is not being picked up by FasTrak toll readers. I used to have a Volvo that had to have the reader mounted outside the car. Is that the case here? In checking my account, my last toll read was 12/24, which was the day i got my new S and traded in the old car.

the coating on the windshield blocks UV among other things including your FastTrak. try mounting at the top center just below the rear view mirror, that is suppose to be the area where a signal will get through.

I guess I'll have to resort to opening the sunroof and sticking up my hand when going in and out of my garage at work every day. That's really a pain. (And mounting the transponder under the nose cone won't work for me, as I need to move it between cars, depending on what I'm driving.)

I have a parking garage transponder that won't work through the front windshield. But I've found that it does work through the driver's side window. I'm obviously not going to mount it there, but waiving it in front of a closed side window is a bit easier than opening the sunroof and sticking your hand up (at least here in Chicago in the winter).

Got the ugly exterior FasTrak transponder in the mail; it came with two long "tamper-resistant" screws and an Allen wrench. This brick of a transponder is so rigid and heavy that I couldn't mount it on the curved license plate bracket on the nosecone. The holes that my DS drilled during delivery were too small and narrow to accommodate these long screws anyway.

Will have to live with sticking the interior transponder out the window till I can put license plates on the car (and will rely on their plate photo capture system from thereon). Sheesh...

Got some instructions from Tesla on where to mount my ez-pass. They said there is no coating here:

EZtagPlacement.jpg

I have a parking garage transponder that won't work through the front windshield. But I've found that it does work through the driver's side window. I'm obviously not going to mount it there, but waiving it in front of a closed side window is a bit easier than opening the sunroof and sticking your hand up (at least here in Chicago in the winter).
The transponders at my work garage are directly overhead, and they're finicky enough as is, so I suspect they wouldn't work through a side window.

Does anyone know if the sunroof has the same coating as the windshield? I assume it does.

Got some instructions from Tesla on where to mount my ez-pass. They said there is no coating here:

View attachment 15157

Then I have a defective windshield.

- - - Updated - - -

The transponders at my work garage are directly overhead, and they're finicky enough as is, so I suspect they wouldn't work through a side window.

Does anyone know if the sunroof has the same coating as the windshield? I assume it does.

Not sure whether it's the same coating or not, but my transponders do not work through it.

Along with many others this has also been driving me crazy. I'll also point out that here in the DC metro area the new transponders have a switch that the user must regularly flip when they go from HOV status to non-HOV status, so the front tag transponders are out as an answer.

I tried this for both my ezpass, and my radar detector, and tested both in this area and (in my car at least), there is a coating in this area that Tesla is pointing to.

Peter

View attachment 15157

Last edited:
Along with many others this has also been driving me crazy. I'll also point out that here in the DC metro area the new transponders have a switch that the user must regularly flip when they go from HOV status to non-HOV status, so the front tag transponders are out as an answer.

I tried this for both my ezpass, and my radar detector, and tested both in this area and (in my car at least), there is a coating in this area that you are pointing to.

Peter

I'm not pointing to anything. That picture was provided by Tesla. My local ez-pass store has a test reader so you can make sure your pass is working. Next week I'll stop by and try to verify if this can or cannot work. I was going to mount it in my nose-cone but the rules are that you have to also DISPLAY the pass.
I'm not a strict rule follower, (i.e. not mounting my front plate), but since I like to use the HOV lanes by myself, I don't want problems. (in Houston you can use your ez-pass to pay for HOV access when driving alone)

there has got to be some chemical/liquid that can be applied to the inside of the windshield that will dissolve this coating off, don't you think?

Ethanol? Gasoline? Mountain Dew Code Red?

I think the coating is in the laminated layer between the two pieces of glass. It is probably integrated into the plastic film that makes safety glass possible.

Laminated glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia