Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coburg Charger is not going to happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I never understood why they tried to build Superchargers in Canada in the winter. I thought we were famous for winter? :) NOW is the time to get more Superchargers done in Canada, Tesla!

And do the ones in the southern US in the winter time. As practical as that seems, I suspect there are so many other variables that have to be worked out in finding a location to build a SC, getting the permitting, and so on, that the geography and weather are way down the list of priorities.

And do the ones in the southern US in the winter time. As practical as that seems, I suspect there are so many other variables that have to be worked out in finding a location to build a SC, getting the permitting, and so on, that the geography and weather are way down the list of priorities.

That might be the case, but it is somewhat pointless to try building Superchargers when the weather does not co-operate, so perhaps this should be higher up on the list of priorities. Look at what they went through with Syracuse, NY and Drummondville, Quebec, for example. Heated tents, and digging trenches with the ground very solidly frozen. And how do you pave in -20 degree temperatures? I am not an expert, but from what I can see it is less than ideal to try it.

It just does not make sense to have no activity in the summer and then start up again when it gets cold!

Maybe Tesla will surprise us all and get Cobourg done before everything freezes over. I would not bet on it, though. In which case there will be plenty more posts complaining about the distance from Toronto to Kingston and the fact that it's too far for travel in the winter and Tesla should realize how many customers they have in Southern Ontario and...

Does anyone know why the on route's wernt used?
There are a number of possible reasons. It's likely that one of the current tenants Canadian Tire, has the rights to all automotive service for On Route locations. There wouldn't be much incentive for CTC to install charging. Secondly, it might be difficult to get that much power into those locations (they tend to be somewhat remote). Thirdly, they likely couldn't install charging for Tesla's only. I wish however that they could at least put some 100 amp level II chargers in those locations with the J1722 plugs so most EVs could use them.

Does anyone know why the on route's wernt used?
I understood from a previous discussion somewhere on this forum that Canadian Tire would be responsible for the installation of chargers but the food concessions are owned by another group. So all the benefit would go to the vendors and all the cost to Canadian Tire, so it is unlikely to happen with any urgency.

Exactly. And Tesla's definition of "2015" probably includes the first few months of 2016. :)

You mean the last few... :tongue:

To be fair, things have really changed as far as getting around Southern Ontario is concerned. We're at the point where we can get places, but sometimes somewhat inconveniently. My main worry is the winter, and the possibility of newbie Tesla owners getting themselves stranded on the 401.

You mean the last few... :tongue:

To be fair, things have really changed as far as getting around Southern Ontario is concerned. We're at the point where we can get places, but sometimes somewhat inconveniently. My main worry is the winter, and the possibility of newbie Tesla owners getting themselves stranded on the 401.
Yes, especially those who have recently taken delivery or who take delivery over the summer/fall period. A false sense of security can creep in and then the cold weather hits. Boom. With the accelerated deliveries we've been hearing about, the chances increase that some newbies will be caught out in the cold.