Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cockamamie directions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the Tesla nav to be much worse than what I was used to with Google (Android Auto). The Tesla nav continues to bug you sometimes for miles, to make a u-turn when you know a different path and take it. Google figured out right away the new path you want to take. And the Tesla nav does prefer highways. Worse, it doesn't have the "Avoid highways" feature that almost every other nav has. I used that almost every time for local trips because our highways are like driving 80 MPH through a landfill: debris everywhere.

Mike
This crap bothers me a lot in the car. I've never had android auto tell me to make a u turn at every intersection for like 5 miles lol. Google immediately figures out I don't want to take that way and swaps.

Reactions: MikeyC
When Musk announced the release of the current NAV software, he claimed Tesla would be able to add more functionality to the navigation software - something that was difficult with the original software they licensed from Garmin/Navigon.

But it's been years - and we still don't have features present in other navigation packages - such as adding waypoints or route customization (selecting alternate routes).

It's likely Tesla is doing with NAV what they've done with their other software apps (with the exception of AP/FSD) - once the software is released, very few changes (if any) are made to the software - and when the changes are made, they're usually cosmetic (related to the user interface).

So, we haven't seen much improvement in the navigation app since NAV 2.0 was released, while other nav apps have continued to evolve, adding new features.

While adding screen mirroring (or Android Auto/Apple CarPlay) could provide more 3rd party apps - such as Audible and better media players, that isn't the solution for the navigation software. The nav app needs to map charging stops plus have integration with AP/FSD - something that would be difficult to get with 3rd party apps.

Since we're stuck with using Tesla's navigation app - we'll only see improvements if Tesla will assign developers to add the (long-promised) missing features and improve the routing functionality.

Reactions: Kevy Baby