TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cockpit Design? Finally found concept I was thinking about.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Garlan Garner, May 25, 2016.

1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Upon seeing the reveal...I instantly thought of this type of design for that black space behind the steering wheel.

Take a look at the screen ( on the passengers side ) in the bar from 0.00 to 0.20. Looks like that entire bar can contain different screens and would easily be configurable by the user.

HUD is a thing of the past. I figure this would be updatable and configurable for all future versions.

We might not even need the 15 inch IPAD. That IPAD seems kinda bulky. This concept seems very smooth.

• Like x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

#2 JeffK, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Umm so you'd rather look down or across the car to a small bar instead of seeing the info right in front of your face on the windshield while you can still see the road...

I'll pass on that! I believe augmented reality HUDs are the future.

Think:

but without touching the windshield, because that would suck.

• Like x 4
  3. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I've thought for years that augmented reality HUD is the future. In the future it could identify danger in the roadway such as an obstacle or deer, it can give you navigation details, speed details, autopilot inputs all without looking down at all. That BMW concept would be dated in comparison, I'll pass as well.

4. Garlan Garner

#4 Garlan Garner, May 25, 2016
    Yes I would rather look across and down and every where I have to. HUD's are way too dim and I can't read them when the SUN is in front of me. If I'm heading off towards the sunset - I put down my visor so that the sun not glaring in my face, but the HUD isn't visible at all. Its stupid in my opinion.

Its wonderful to me that almost no one is offering HUD's anymore. its a thing of the past. Below is the concept of the future...and it can fit on the M3's black bar behind the steering wheel.

I wouldn't even mind the new AUDi TT's screen - That's configurable also. Looks like the concept cars are steering away from HUD towards computer screen type displays.....Ie the M6 and the MX. lol.

Audi

Volkswagen

There are no HUD's that can compete with this.

• Like x 2
  5. Garlan Garner

#5 Garlan Garner, May 25, 2016
    Again - its amazing that high end car companies are designing configurable digital dashes in lieu of HUDs. BMW, AUDI, VW, and "ahem" TESLA...lol.

Can you imagine trying to read Google Maps using a HUD? really?

HUD's to me have only been good at night. The sun ruins HUD"s effectiveness.

6. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I guess fighter pilots are doomed... ;)

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  7. Garlan Garner

Exactly my point. ALL new F35's and the like have HUD helmets. The Sun's glare was the #1 complaint concerning instrumentation for the past 15 years from those guys. There are tons of youtube videos from pilots saying this. HUD helmets come with those fighter jet planes now.

If Tesla gave us a HUD helmet... lol. - However I wouldn't pay the upgrade price for it.

I don't disagree with HUD if they can get it to work effectively in all situations.

8. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

If we see some of the newer tech using LED and laser based sources we might have better results than in the past. The new TI stuff supposedly is good to 15 K cd/m^2. I'd have to see it to believe it though.

9. Garlan Garner

I agree. I would have to see it to believe it.

10. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

So I'm not getting true AR HUD, until they make smartphones the size of a coin which can be placed/implanted on my head?

Oh well, I can wait +30 years for that, as long as it's worth it.

11. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

I don't see what's so special about that. I should be excited because it lights up in Christmas colors?

I think having an elongated panel across the top of the dash like that is incredibly inconvenient. It's much more inconvenient than a centrally placed touch screen and is immeasurably worse than a high resolution HUD. Would the HUD need advances to make it visible no matter the external weather conditions? Sure. But it's a significantly better idea than the alternatives.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  12. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I thought the same thing, they do look like Christmas lights! They ran some cheap LED color changing strips and now it's the car of the future!

• Funny x 1
  13. Garlan Garner

I'm going to keep a copy of the replies in this thread.

Its a concept car. Concepts are things of the future - not the current nor the past.

14. Garlan Garner

If HUD's are significantly better...then why aren't the major car companies putting it in their cars? Answer: Because it does not sell. Audi, Mercedes, BMW, TESLA are all putting in interactive screens on the dashes....why? Because they sell.

As a matter of fact - Look at the Audi A4 commercial......

audi a4 comercial - Bing video
    the first thing in the commercial is the interactive dash board. Not the engine, seats, wheels, or anything like that...its the interactive dash. Audi isn't stupid. They know what sells. So does TESLA that had the same screen on the MS 2 years ago. There is no way HUD will sell like an interactive screen.

15. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Of course not, that's why you need both. One for interaction (center screen) and one for display and/or augmented reality to complement autopilot.
    HUD plus screen means you don't need an instrument cluster.

Without augmented reality, HUDs are just gimmicks displaying info that could be in an instrument cluster. For augmented reality and to truly know what autopilot is doing you need the HUD especially when autopilot gets more advanced with decision making.

16. Garlan Garner

Obviously Audi, Mercedes, BMW, TESLA and others don't think we "need" both. I am quite sure that they are ALL intimately famailar with HUDs, however they don't install them because they can't sell them.

There is absolutely no way possible that a reflective display will be as attractive and clear as a real screen.

17. Garlan Garner

#17 Garlan Garner, May 25, 2016
    If the M3 gets an HUD...then I would love to have a button to turn it off. I had a car with one and it was more distracting than a cell phone.

Show me a HUD of any type that even comes close to this:
    2016 audi a4 comercial dashboard - Bing video

18. Garlan Garner

#18 Garlan Garner, May 25, 2016
    Audi and other companies are dressing up their interiors with screens and lights because THEY SELL.

That means that more people like it than don't. Tell me what about this video below does not depict a cockpit. Althought the entire HVAC display is an interactive screen, but HVAC knobs have screens in the middle of them that tell you what the temp is. There are screens and lights everywhere. THIS is the future.

2017 Audi A4 led lighting - Bing video

If only this care was all electric.....

19. N5329K

N5329K Member

Tesla should know that seeing what the MS' sensors are seeing on the central instrument display is very reassuring to the driver. It would be equally reassuring in the 3.
    Robin

20. Gilzo

Gilzo Member

Personally, I think the dash of all audi's are horrible...not my style. My wife has a 2015 a5 so I have first hand experience with it.

But I will say I agree with your notion that an interactive dash is better than a HUD. I'm in the camp that believes the Model 3 will have a similar center dash as the S...being able to see surrounding objects is reassuring while on autopilot. I'm not convinced they'll take that away completely and introduce something totally new.

But there could be a HUD as well in conjunction with an interactive center dash. It wouldn't surprise me. If a HUD does come with the car, I don't think it will look too different than what's being offered today..a simple HUD. Maybe the HUD can grow into a more advanced component in later versions but not the 1st version...too risky to introduce a radical HUD on a 1st generation car for the masses. Just my opinion..could be completely wrong but it makes sense to me.