Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cockpit Design? Finally found concept I was thinking about.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well said. Personally, don't have experience with HUDs but at least Tesla seems to be willing to bring their A-game with regards of these things so there is hope. But like you said, I'd rather have a HUD that works 80% of the time as opposed to nothing at all (not counting the center-mounted display).

So you guys don't like the Model S? If you don't like the Model S, why would you buy a model 3? The model S has 2 beautiful screens.

Audi didn't sell as many cars as they did last year. What does that have to do with anything? They are all making billions even if fewer people are buying cars - across the board.

The across the board sales were only down 1%. Audi sales are down 5% and 15% respectively. If somebody knows what sells they should be able to hold onto their market share, don't you think?

10 years ago none of them wanted to make an EV either because they KNEW it doesn't sell. Until Tesla showed how to correctly do it.

So all you can say for sure is that Audi doesn't know how to build and sell a HUD. That says more about Audi than it does about HUDs.

Reactions: Lem89 and alseTrick
The across the board sales were only down 1%. Audi sales are down 5% and 15% respectively. If somebody knows what sells they should be able to hold onto their market share, don't you think?

10 years ago none of them wanted to make an EV either because they KNEW it doesn't sell. Until Tesla showed how to correctly do it.

So all you can say for sure is that Audi doesn't know how to build and sell a HUD. That says more about Audi than it does about HUDs.

Come on. You can't successfully sell something simply because it exists. People don't like HUD's. The lack of car companies developing HUD proves it.

Every car has air conditioning. Why? People like it
Every car has power windows. Why? People like it
Every car has heaters. Why? People like it
Every car has fuel injection. Why? People like it.
Almost every car has GPS type screens Why? People like it.
Almost every phone is a smart phone Why? People like it.
Very few cars have HUD. Why? very few people don't like it.

My point is this....NO ONE is selling cars because if HUD's. If that was the case - then EVERY car would have HUD's. HUD' isn't a new product like EV cars are.

EV's are selling...so car makers are making them. Easy Peasy.

On my other point - If 50% of people lose their jobs, then they aint going to by a car. Nobodys car. Especially an expensive car.

That's what's happening across the board. Its not a surprise. People are globally doing worse and worse - financially.

That chart didn't mean anything concerning this forum topic.

Last edited:
If HUD's are significantly better...then why aren't the major car companies putting it in their cars? Answer: Because it does not sell. Audi, Mercedes, BMW, TESLA are all putting in interactive screens on the dashes....why? Because they sell.

As a matter of fact - Look at the Audi A4 commercial......

audi a4 comercial - Bing video
the first thing in the commercial is the interactive dash board. Not the engine, seats, wheels, or anything like that...its the interactive dash. Audi isn't stupid. They know what sells. So does TESLA that had the same screen on the MS 2 years ago. There is no way HUD will sell like an interactive screen.

But they are putting them in their vehicles. Maybe not advertising them greatly but they are. My uncle got a brand new BMW 7 series last summer and the HUD, even as limited as it was, was pretty awesome, functional, and something I wish I had. Now the HUD on my parents GMC Acadia, not nearly as awesome and much more limited, but still useful no matter the time of day.

But they are putting them in their vehicles. Maybe not advertising them greatly but they are. My uncle got a brand new BMW 7 series last summer and the HUD, even as limited as it was, was pretty awesome, functional, and something I wish I had. Now the HUD on my parents GMC Acadia, not nearly as awesome and much more limited, but still useful no matter the time of day.

"Not advertising them greatly" is a huge understatement. When I last went to a BMW dealer in 2012 to look at an M5, the dealer did not have a single vehicle (of any model) in stock with HUD for me to look at.

Of course any dealer will downplay something you have to order greatly above something you can drive off the lot the same day. The dynamic of sales changes drastically when every car you sell is a special order.

So you guys don't like the Model S? If you don't like the Model S, why would you buy a model 3? The model S has 2 beautiful screens.

That's not what I said and I cannot speak for voip-ninja. I'd have nothing against the model 3 having two screens like the model S does. It just has been strongly implied by Tesla that that will not be the case and I do not want to be defaulted *only* to the central screen.

Let me list some options in the order of preference:
2 screens (and HUD option for those who want it) > HUD + center screen > just the center screen

Reactions: voip-ninja
I'm skeptical, but must admit that this is exciting news since Tesla hired the Mission E designer. I expect a lot more from Tesla than a mere gimmicky holographic dashboard. :cool:

Now that's another perfect example of what Tesla could do with that black bar behind the steering wheel. Absolutely Beautiful interactive display. .

Now that's a cockpit. Cowbell Cowbell Cowbell

Porsche Dashboard.jpg

Now that's another perfect example of what Tesla could do with that black bar behind the steering wheel. Absolutely Beautiful interactive display. .

Form follows function. A larger single area is needed for autopilot.

You seem to want a different car than the model 3 you ordered

Edit: I'll add that Tesla may simply be adding an instrument cluster on top of the dash they showed at the reveal. Musk would be the guy to use HUD if it worked (cost and usability). But there is no way to know if HUD works before the second reveal.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffK

Now that's a cockpit. Cowbell Cowbell Cowbell

View attachment 178306

Looks great looking down on it like this. My issue continues to be (and I know that it may well be just me) that I hate looking through the steering wheel for information. Something is always obscured or hard to read. That's a main reason why I am all for trying a partial wheel. Depending on how it was engineered I really don't think it would be a safety hazzard in an emergency, as I know many fear it would be. I'd like to see what one would look like at least.

Dan

Form follows function. A larger single area is needed for autopilot.

You seem to want a different car than the model 3 you ordered

Edit: I'll add that Tesla may simply be adding an instrument cluster on top of the dash they showed at the reveal. Musk would be the guy to use HUD if it worked (cost and usability). But there is no way to know if HUD works before the second reveal.

Tesla clearly indicated that the reveal on 3/31 was first draft. No one is getting the FIRST draft car. Geeshh. Isn't it ok to dream. I'll take any model 3 they have.
My thoughts were to utilize the black strip behind the steering wheel that goes across the entire car. Putting those gauges in that black strip would be cool to me. What's wrong with that?