Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cockpit Design? Finally found concept I was thinking about.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does /= mean? Not equal? I agree. My point is....if they others are NOW that good.... then for $35K its going to be a miracle to see how Tesla wins out.

I tried to pick comparable models to compare the M3 to - not just ANY type car.

The M6 is the flagship and can compete with the high end.

It means not equal.

I chose cars that were in the same class as the Model S when it was announced.

Are you saying the Porsche is in the same class as the M3?

I don't understand how the M3 is going to compete with its competition ( Audi A4, Lexus IS, BMW 3, Mercedes C class) for $35K as far as design is concerned. Performance..yes, but not design.

Tesla's MS is in the same price range as it's competition so it can financially compete with both design and performance.

The M3 is vastly underpriced so I just thought from the first reveal that it only makes sense to use screens and buttons and LEDs (cheap) instead of expensive leather and air-conditioned seats. I would hope that the M3 would design technology to surpass the competition just like it did on the MS. Truthfully the MS has very cheap amenities such as it's faux leather and crushed velvet and plastic dash and are a few of the reasons why I haven't purchased a 100K MS. ( I will only buy the best of a particular model ).

I won't mind purchasing a $50K+ M3 with all of the bells and whistles with plastic this and that because its only $50k+ and it will compete or beat it's competition on technology and hopefully design. This thread is about design.

Are you saying the Porsche is in the same class as the M3?

The Electric version Porsche is in the same class as the MS. However Tesla can use that technology in the M3. That's my suggestion.

Just like it wouldn't take much for the M3 to share the same technology (motor, screens, etc) as the MS and keep the price at $35K. The top end MS is vastly overpriced. The MS isn't a $130K car. Maybe that's how it somehow paid for the M3.

The Electric version Porsche is in the same class as the MS. However Tesla can use that technology in the M3. That's my suggestion.

Just like it wouldn't take much for the M3 to share the same technology (motor, screens, etc) as the MS and keep the price at $35K. The top end MS is vastly overpriced. The MS isn't a $130K car. Maybe that's how it somehow paid for the M3.

So you are saying the 600 bhp "P90D killa" Porsche Mission E is the same class as a $35k Model 3.

I disagree.

Why not see if you can find some funky designs in $35k 2016 MY cars to compare with?

Here's one from BMW. Look at all the lovely buttons and the retro dials. Mmmmm.. retro.

2016_bmw_3_series_dashboard.jpg

Or maybe the Kia Soul EV is a better match to the M3? At least the Soul EV is a BEV, right...? No funky floating weather icons tho :/

2016-Kia-Soul-EV-Interior-Dash.jpg

So you are saying the 600 bhp "P90D killa" Porsche Mission E is the same class as a $35k Model 3.

I disagree.

Why not see if you can find some funky designs in $35k 2016 MY cars to compare with?

Here's one from BMW. Look at all the lovely buttons and the retro dials. Mmmmm.. retro.

Can't you read? I said the Electric Porsche might be in the same class as the MS. Its in the first sentence.

Can't you read? I said the Electric Porsche might be in the same class as the MS. Its in the first sentence.

You are right, I misread MS as M3.

If Tesla wanted to put the MS / MX dual-screen dash in the M3, they would have done so already. It would have made life much easier for them.

Instead they have a different design for M3 which we have to believe will be cheaper and quicker for Tesla to build and service than the current dash, without compromising the overall user interface for the driver. At this point, nobody outside of a Tesla NDA knows what this will look ike, so all we can do is speculate, and trust that they will do the right thing.

Who knows, maybe they will re-evaulate the decision to change from the MS/MX dash when looking at ways to get the M3 into production next year.

Yet another:

I've hated those hand motion things with a passion. It's always a cool concept but in practice I've never seen it work effectively 100% of the time. I bet owners would be immensely frustrated with it highlighting the wrong choices. We see that they made a button for users to confirm the choice because of this very reason. The button doesn't help because you still have the incidence of the incorrect option being highlighted.

I've hated those hand motion things with a passion. It's always a cool concept but in practice I've never seen it work effectively 100% of the time. I bet owners would be immensely frustrated with it highlighting the wrong choices. We see that they made a button for users to confirm the choice because of this very reason. The button doesn't help because you still have the incidence of the incorrect option being highlighted.

My thoughts exactly. I got extremely frustrated even with XBOX Kinect and with that I was stationary in my living room, not driving in a busy city center.

Reactions: JeffK
During the annual shareholders meeting today, Elon mentioned that the Model X and Model S are - and will be - technological front runners and that the Model 3 will be a follower.

Judging from that remark don't expect any spectacular HUD or something like that unless it is introduced in the Model S and Model X before.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
During the annual shareholders meeting today, Elon mentioned that the Model X and Model S are - and will be - technological front runners and that the Model 3 will be a follower.

Judging from that remark don't expect any spectacular HUD or something like that unless it is introduced in the Model S and Model X before.

Not too different what other manufacturers are doing. I'm still hoping for something better than a single center screen. Maybe something like... hmm.. two screens, something that the S and X might already have, hmm... :rolleyes:

Then what about all of the promised cowbells? I haven't seen anything on the Model S or X that would denote "cowbells" or space ship type controls. Space Ship type cockpit requires physical changes to the Model S or X. Although they have 18 months to modify the S or X....I don't believe they will.