Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cockpit Design? Finally found concept I was thinking about.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would be a massive disappointment when promised cowbells and spaceship cockpit.

Not for me. Center screen in this configuration is fine. Add an existing technology HUD for speed, nav instructions, and other critical data. Leave the area above the steering wheel blank, as in the prototype. And while we are talking about the steering wheel, leave it normal. Don't turn it into some "weird mobile" design.

I think EM's statement that the M3 would trail the MS and MX in technology might have been a way of walking back the crazy hype talk around the cockpit. Let's hope it's not too far "out there".

Not for me. Center screen in this configuration is fine. Add an existing technology HUD for speed, nav instructions, and other critical data. Leave the area above the steering wheel blank, as in the prototype. And while we are talking about the steering wheel, leave it normal. Don't turn it into some "weird mobile" design.

I think EM's statement that the M3 would trail the MS and MX in technology might have been a way of walking back the crazy hype talk around the cockpit. Let's hope it's not too far "out there".

Assuming that the S and X don't get revamped cockpits soon, I'd hope that the IC screen would be included in the 3 also. It can't be that expensive can it? Heck, add it to "tech package" and let me buy it then :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you regarding the steering wheel.

Assuming that the S and X don't get revamped cockpits soon, I'd hope that the IC screen would be included in the 3 also. It can't be that expensive can it? Heck, add it to "tech package" and let me buy it then :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you regarding the steering wheel.
I can't see the S and the X getting re-designed cockpits. There are some folks with the opinion ( after hearing Elon yesterday ) that the M3 will only see upgrades that have first been provided to the MS and MX. I don't believe that for one second. The M3 will have cowbells and spaceship cockpits without the other models being upgraded. That's what I believe.

This would be a massive disappointment when promised cowbells and spaceship cockpit.
Remember, the "spaceship" comment was specifically in reference to the steering and not the entire dash, etc

OqIjVqx.png

• Love
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Remember, the "spaceship" comment was specifically in reference to the steering and not the entire dash, etc

OqIjVqx.png

For me at least "steering controls and system" include indicators for the operator "what is happening" it can be oil pressure in some old dinosaur or it can be current energy consumption in some modern way to transport meatsacks and other things from A to B.

For me at least "steering controls and system" include indicators for the operator "what is happening" it can be oil pressure in some old dinosaur or it can be current energy consumption in some modern way to transport meatsacks and other things from A to B.
Maybe, but to me it doesn't sound like the "steering controls and system" would include your gauges. I guess it comes down to semantics. His wording may have been intended to be more than just steering. Maybe "driving" would have been a better word there and he meant to encompass the entire field of view? Or, he really could have just meant the steering wheel + sticks, and nothing else, since that's what the original person asked him about.

Reactions: jkk_
LOL. Elon Musk responded in twitter or at the 3/31 reveal or somewhere ( I can't remember ) indicating that there will be a lot of cowbells. Cowbells can be translated as options / toys / gadgets.
I know that by "Cowbells" he means "toys" and "gadgets". Those "cowbells" all come at a cost though. What concerns me is that we are letting our imaginations whip us up into a feeding frenzy of hopes and dreams. We expect this car to look better than a Ferrari, be faster than a Lambo, handle better than a Porshce, take us to work while we catch some beauty sleep...and do it all for the price of an Accord. Something HAS to give folks. I would love all of those things too but putting added pressure on ourselves as well as the Tesla employees that are trying to make this car happen is doing nobody any good.

Just my $.02.

Dan

I know that by "Cowbells" he means "toys" and "gadgets". Those "cowbells" all come at a cost though. What concerns me is that we are letting our imaginations whip us up into a feeding frenzy of hopes and dreams. We expect this car to look better than a Ferrari, be faster than a Lambo, handle better than a Porshce, take us to work while we catch some beauty sleep...and do it all for the price of an Accord. Something HAS to give folks. I would love all of those things too but putting added pressure on ourselves as well as the Tesla employees that are trying to make this car happen is doing nobody any good.

Just my $.02.

Dan

I just know that he said cowbells. I don't expect everything in the world for $35K. However, if the M3 is anything like the MS then I'll take it. However "HE" indicated that it will have many more cowbells. Those are not my words. Elon and Tesla have to now been folks of their words.

Cowbells = His words
Spaceship Cockpit = His words
Ludicrous option = His words
200+ range = His words
Supercharging option = His words
AutoPilot = His words.
Gift to those ( like me ) who waited in line = His words.

Not ours.

Some things are options - fine - they are his words not ours. I only expect what he said would happen.

Elon has "over spoken" quite a bit in the past. Particularly on timeframes, but not exclusively. Solar powered Superchargers, anyone? I think there are three of them in North America right now.. but at least we can do battery swaps. ;)

Out of all of the - lets call it - "mis-speaks" that people have heard...I believe the final products are supurb. MS and MX. That's the primary reason why I believe they received 400K M3 orders. There is a confidence factor that can't be overlooked.

Out of all of the - lets call it - "mis-speaks" that people have heard...I believe the final products are supurb. MS and MX. That's the primary reason why I believe they received 400K M3 orders. There is a confidence factor that can't be overlooked.
I don't disagree. I'm just warning people who say "Elon said" or "Tesla said". Tesla said I would have free valet service for life. Guess what? I don't anymore. Tesla told some people they'd have free ranger service for life. Guess what? Nope.

Just because Tesla said doesn't mean that's how it is today or how it's going to be in the future. Everyone would do well to remember that when getting excited about cowbells and such.

I don't disagree. I'm just warning people who say "Elon said" or "Tesla said". Tesla said I would have free valet service for life. Guess what? I don't anymore. Tesla told some people they'd have free ranger service for life. Guess what? Nope.

Just because Tesla said doesn't mean that's how it is today or how it's going to be in the future. Everyone would do well to remember that when getting excited about cowbells and such.

I know this is a blog room, however let me paint a picture for you.

Imagine the saddest face that you have ever seen on a 2 year old:
Now imagine that 2 year old talking very slowly choking back massive tears: (now I'll make my comment).

you mean.....no cowbells?
no........spaceship...cockpit?
no auto....pi..lot?

This isss thhhee woorsest day in my liffeee.

That's how I felt after reading your last post. I'm really looking forward to those cowbells. I really hope you are wrong. However you are probably right. History is on your side.

• Funny
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
The M3 will have cowbells and spaceship cockpits without the other models being upgraded. That's what I believe.

I think you are setting yourself up to have major disappointments.
Model 3 has to be simple and cheap to make. So the center screen with no instrument panel is basically what you would get; and I don't believe there will be HUD either in the base car.
Yes, the steering wheel will be of a new design, and you would be the judge if it resembles space ship control or not (Elon just mentioned that the steering control "feels like" a spaceship; he did not say spaceship cockpit).

"Cowbells" can mean different things to different people. The most recent "cowbells" from Tesla are rainbow graphics on the screen and flashing lights on the charging port.
So don't set your expectations too high.

Model 3 has to be simple and cheap to make. So the center screen with no instrument panel is basically what you would get; and I don't believe there will be HUD either in the base car.
Yes, the steering wheel will be of a new design, and you would be the judge if it resembles space ship control or not (Elon just mentioned that the steering control "feels like" a spaceship; he did not say spaceship cockpit).

"Cowbells" can mean different things to different people. The most recent "cowbells" from Tesla are rainbow graphics on the screen and flashing lights on the charging port.
This is so against my expectations for part 2 of the reveal. I hope you're wrong. ;)

BTW Elon mentioned both "steering controls and system" in his tweet as feeling "like a spaceship". I wonder what he means by "system"...

Last edited:

Its not like I'm creating these things myself. I'm not expecting something "I" have come up with. These are things Elon promised.

Maybe you are saying that I shouldn't believe Elon / Tesla. A lot of people are saying that for some reason.