Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something I don't understand is why they don't concentrate on the EU countries first, we have 4x more expensive gasoline here, the average distance driven per day is most likely shorter than in the US plus the small 5 door coupe is the norm car rather than the exception.

Not to mention that the weak dollar wont be a problem in Europe. Add to that very EV friendly incentives for EV's in most European countries and to my eye launching an EV in Europe seems like a no-brainer. I guess the smaller market that EU is compared to the US is the reason they liek Miles and Tesla etc prioritise USA first ?

Cobos

The market seems to be changing:
Car Sales: Europe Ready To Pass U.S. As Number One? - Behind the Wheel - Phil Lebeau - MSNBC.com

I don't think for a startup electric car manufacturer it would make such a difference even if the EU market was smaller. They can't suddenly begin to produce 100 000 cars a year anyway, but it seems to me it would take much less effort in the marketing and general awareness campains to sell electric cars in the EU than in the US. The EV would most likely also have a smaller CO2 footprint in the EU looking at how electricity is produced to a larger extent from nuclear and natural gas instead of coal.

Assembled here in China, the cars they are making can be marketed to drivers in both our nations, and in South America and the European Union, too.

Are they planning on selling in the US significantly before EU? I don't see it making much difference if they end up in both places in near the same time frame.

I don't see the Javlon as competing directly with Tesla. First of all, although I like the idea of a relatively inexpensive electric car being sold as soon as Javlon claims, I don't think the quality or the look or "feel" will match what Tesla can do. When I look at the Javlon I think "plastic". I don't think the handling or performance will be much to write home about and the range is far inferior to what I expect from Tesla.
The Tesla may cost more but, hopefully, you'll get what you pay for.

Quality may be a huge scare factor. I remember reading that some Li-Ion batteries were ordered from ThunderSky Corp by some guys doing some conversions and I guess ALL of the cells were different...some had rust coming out of the packs, some had different weights, different energy capacities, etc. If that happens, word will get out very quickly and Miles will simply die. But not before some U.S. consumers get burned.

I have to admit I sort of make fun of ZAP's Xebra (or Zebra) whatever it is, but people of websites dedicated to how great they are. The same thing will happen if the Javlon is sold here. We'll know, and I do think Tesla's Bluestar will have serious competition if this occurs. The price is too darn cheap to ignore.

New report at ABG that the Javlon is to cost about the same as the Whitestar, which is a HUGE disappointment, if true:

At today's exchange rate that comes to about $58,750. That's not exactly mainstream affordable.

Miles XS500 will be a lot more expensive than planned - AutoblogGreen

This is a reply from Miles Automotive at AutoblogGreen:

7. Sam,

I work for Miles Electric Vehicles in Santa Monica. The information you have listed above is incorrect. Our 2009 XS500 model is still projected to sell for $30,000 to $35,000 here in the U.S. AllGreenVehicles is our distributor in the Benelux countries, however, they are currently only selling our low speed models. When the XS500 is available for purchase, they will be distributing in the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg; but, the price for the XS500 has not yet been set for those markets. Please update your posting.

Thank you,

Kara Saltness
Marketing Manager
Miles Electric Vehicles

"These are the guys that went after Tesla for asking for the waiver on the airbaig"

Word from the Tesla camp was that the whole airbag fight came from the dealerships who don't like the Tesla model. They just used Miles as a tool....

Miles EV Sedan

Miles EV highway speed sedan, first official rendering - AutoblogGreen
Back in 2007, this car was called the Javlon XS500. Then it got shortened to just XS500. Now, the all-electric sedan that Miles EV wants to bring market in 2010 or so is called, well, nothing yet. A highway-speed sedan that Miles hopes to sell 9,000 of in 2010 is visually just what you see above, but there are running prototypes in the states today. The estimated cost is under $40,000 (before government incentives) and the top speed is 85 mph. Range = 150 miles.
miles-hwy-speed-prototype-450.jpg

I don't think it's that ugly. It is just a drawing after all, and they're just converting body that's designed for a gas car, is that right? Maybe they have some kind of plastic piece that snaps on the front to prevent air from entering the unneeded grill... Ok, that's ugly.

I think people are too picky... We're yet to see a viable EV for the masses...ie one under $40,000, that can seat four, is available in the U.S., goes in excess of 80 mph, and has a range in excess of 100 miles. Until I see more than ONE on the market, beggers can't be choosers.

I agree, it's ugly as hell...but I'm still interested.

Last edited: