Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^
I might. I met someone in the Bay Area who used to work at Coda on the powertrain side. I think he's semi-active in the Bay Area EV community. I might even bump into him this weekend.

When I first met him, I was w/some other EV folks and there was some discussion of CAN bus on the Coda.

I got a Google alert for coda today for this Local news from Rock Hill, SC | The Herald.

If the link doesn't work right, go to
Code:
http://www.heraldonline.com/2014/11/10/6513647/colorados-first-all-electric-car.html?sp=/100/773/385/
Since the article is about eThos Car Share, I just had to LOL at what eThos Car Share proclaims!
eThos is amassing a fleet of the best electric cars made in 2013: The Coda Electric Sedan.

The Coda was the only American-made, all-electric, 5-passenger sedan produced in 2013...
Huh?

EThos Electric Car Share
...So far, he has purchased 13 vehicles made from an electric car manufacturing company based in Los Angeles called Coda Holdings, Inc. which filed for bankruptcy in 2013. He is offering two types of cars for renting currently, the 2013 Coda Sedan and the Tesla Model S. The Sedan has a 125 mile range and a 31 kWh battery pack, while the Tesla Model S has a 200 mile range and a 60 kWh battery. The Tesla is only available for half day rentals...

Colorado’s First All-Electric Car Share Service Launches in Colorado | EV News ReportEV News Report
admin-ajax-114.jpg

1st-Member-Julia-Greenwald.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I just realized that PR piece at DENVER: Colorados First All-Electric Car Share Service Launches in Colorado | Business Wire | Rock Hill Herald Online says
The nation’s first operational, all-electric car share service launched in Golden, Colo
Really? I don't think that's right either.

AFAIK, the US DriveNow fleet (DriveNow) was all-electric for a time, if isn't still. Their cars were solely BMW ActiveE's and they were supposed to add some i3's in the fleet (not sure if they'd add the BEV or REx versions).

Also, I just realized that PR piece at DENVER: Colorados First All-Electric Car Share Service Launches in Colorado | Business Wire | Rock Hill Herald Online says

Really? I don't think that's right either.

AFAIK, the US DriveNow fleet (DriveNow) was all-electric for a time, if isn't still. Their cars were solely BMW ActiveE's and they were supposed to add some i3's in the fleet (not sure if they'd add the BEV or REx versions).

Car2Go has a number of disjoint markets, but some (eg. San Diego) are all-electric, using Electric Smarts. They've been going at least three years.

Last edited:
Some more details at http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/20/mullen-700e-la-2014/.

Those new cars will have bigger batteries, still made by Lishen. While the original cars has a 31-kWh battery pack, the 700e will have a 40-kWh pack and Mullen and Lishen are working on a 50-kWh pack. Other difference include 16-inch low rolling resistance tires (instead of 17-inch low profile tires) and undercladding on the back end. Those changes turn the original 125-mile car into a 150-mile car, Curtis said, and with the new 40-kWh pack, it's over 180 miles. With the 50 kWh, that jumps to over 200 miles
I definitely don't like how they're stretching the truth here. They're calling the original 88 mile on the EPA test 31 kWh car a "125 mile car". :rolleyes:

It's just like the "100 mile" Leaf BS that really set people up for disappointment. NOBODY at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11201 thought that's the right value to tell potential Leaf buyers. That kind of BS was going on at dealers and auto shows for a long time: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13264.

Last edited:
Former GM exec Murtaugh hired as CEO of Chinese automaker Qoros
February 3, 2015 - 2:53 pm ET
SHANGHAI (Bloomberg) -- Qoros Automotive Co., the Shanghai-based joint venture between China’s Chery Automobile Co. and Israel Corp., appointed a former General Motors executive to run the company after struggling to boost its sales.

Phil Murtaugh, who has led GM’s China operations and ran the then-Chrysler Group’s Asian operations, started as CEO of Qoros on Monday, the company said in a statement. His predecessor, Guo Qian, had moved back to Chery.
Murtaugh, 60, also was the CEO of electric carmaker Coda Automotive Inc., which filed for bankruptcy in 2013.

UQM Technologies Reports $1.4 Million Loss In Fourth Quarter mentions:
Smaller companies are more willing to place orders, but as in case of CODA, the risk is high. UQM is still sitting on the large inventory for CODA:

“We carry a large inventory balance originally acquired for CODA and may not be able to sell this inventory.”

“At December 31 , 2014, we had aged inventory of $7. 8 million of PowerPhase Pro ® systems on our books originally acquired for now-bankrupt CODA. We believe the PowerPhase Pro ® system is right sized for many medium-duty truck, marine, passenger vehicle and stationary power applications, and this inventory is now for sale to other customers. While we believe that there continues to be a strong market for these products, a change in market conditions or technology advancements could make this inventory obsolete, or the actual realizable value upon sale of this inventory to be substantially less than its book value, causing a material adverse effect on our results of operations.”

Since the article is about eThos Car Share, I just had to LOL at what eThos Car Share proclaims!
Well, they're dead now. The first URL now leads to The Website of Tim Prior. The 2nd link is 404.

I did stumble across The eThos ethos stating the service died in 2016.
I was looking at CODA Energy and Our Latest Projects | CODA Energy and noticed their install dates were all in 2014.

I then found Is the Third Time a Charm for Coda’s Energy Storage Business? which states in 2016:
Exergonix just acquired "substantially all of the assets of Coda Energy," a twice-bankrupt California manufacturer of energy storage systems. Exergonix will assume management and operation of all of the already-installed Coda systems operating at customer sites in California, according to a release.
Somehow, I'm not too surprised. Seems like anything that sprang out of Miles Electric Vehicles, Coda, et al has had execution problems.

If you are in San Diego area, I still have mine since day one. Full charge is 115 miles now, if you don’t go over 60mph and don’t use AC. When it was new I would get 125 miles per charge. Has over 70k miles and my kids use it now. Maintenance is tires and wipers.

Really awesome to hear from an actual Coda owner. I would rock one of these just for the curiosity factor.