TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Code/Plan Check Correction Problem

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Treading water, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Treading water

Our local (Santa Barbara County) building department wrote a correction on our plans that appear to require a special ventilation system interlocked with the Tesla unless we can show that the charging system is "listed for indoor use". The code section they cited is in the California Residential Building Code Section 328 (attached). Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm not sure how to respond to this correction. EV ventilation reqs.JPG

2. Kbsilver

Kbsilver Member

Of course the Tesla is rated for indoor use, most of the time it's charged in a garage. I would expect those regulations were passed to cover VENTED lead acid batteries which give off hydrogen gas when charged. This is more typical of a low tech electric vehicle like a golf cart. Tesla uses sealed Lithium batteries which do not generate gasses when charged. If your town tries to apply this regulation to a Tesla, tell them they need REAL engineers making up these regulations or to at least better define when they are applied.

3. kennybobby

kennybobby Member

You wonder which century this was written--the only vehicles using lead-acid batteries would be golf carts and old fork lifts, etc. and they are specifically excluded. Well maybe some older DIY EVs, but if the batteries don't produce any hydrogen gas then they should also be excluded, i.e. vehicles using lithium cells.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

It looks to me like they cited the wrong section. R328.3 says "when required by the California Electrical Code". So that must be referring to something else in the code.