Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Codes for outdoor powerwall placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just ordered a Tesla solar panel installation with one powerwall unit and would like to tell the design team my preferences where the powerwall should go. For this I'd like to have an approximate understanding of what's allowed. This is for San Jose, CA.

My questions:
- Any restrictions on how far from a house outside wall corner, crawlspace vent, or from a gutter downspout it needs to be?
- It's 3 feet from windows and doors, is this measured from the frame or the actual opening?
- Can it be mounted on an outside wall, if yes, how high? For example, can it be 5 feet up to leave space for trashcans etc below it?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that the doors and windows clearance is only for openings that lead to conditioned space. If the door or window only leads to the garage, they don't count.
The PWs can be mounted on an outside wall but have to be mounted low enough that the side switch can be reached without a ladder. I don't recall the specific height requirement. They also need to be low enough to be compatible with the standard lifting equipment used by the installers. Completely above standard garbage toters used in Silicon Valley seems too high to me.

Keep in mind that the doors and windows clearance is only for openings that lead to conditioned space. If the door or window only leads to the garage, they don't count.
The PWs can be mounted on an outside wall but have to be mounted low enough that the side switch can be reached without a ladder. I don't recall the specific height requirement. They also need to be low enough to be compatible with the standard lifting equipment used by the installers. Completely above standard garbage toters used in Silicon Valley seems too high to me.
Garages can be conditioned space. Mine is.

Hi Desola,
My 4 powerwalls were installed in San Jose mounted outside my garage wall. Used Tesla Backup Switch to get whole house backup.
Since 1 powerwall can handle max 30 amp circuits, you will likely not be able to do whole house backup with only 1 powerwall.
- Any restrictions on how far from a house outside wall corner, crawlspace vent, or from a gutter downspout it needs to be?
The restrictions are Minimum 2 inches clearance on left side and minimum 6 inches clearance on right side.
- It's 3 feet from windows and doors, is this measured from the frame or the actual opening?
Guess: I would think it is measured from the actual opening but not certain.
- Can it be mounted on an outside wall, if yes, how high? For example, can it be 5 feet up to leave space for trashcans etc below it?
Yes it can be mounted on an outside wall. Maximum is 39.5 inches above ground level to bottom of powerwall.

You can also call your advisor and they can answer your question based on the local code of your city. I do have my 2 powerwall outside on the garage. On a side note- I would recommend getting 2 instead of 1 powerwall. The fed and state rebates will include your powerwalls if you buy them with solar together. If you add another powerwall later, you will not get the rebate then. As CalifforniaDIY mentioned, 1 powerwall won't do whole house backup.

You can also call your advisor and they can answer your question based on the local code of your city. I do have my 2 powerwall outside on the garage. On a side note- I would recommend getting 2 instead of 1 powerwall. The fed and state rebates will include your powerwalls if you buy them with solar together. If you add another powerwall later, you will not get the rebate then. As CalifforniaDIY mentioned, 1 powerwall won't do whole house backup.
As long as the Powerwalls are charged 100% from solar, you can get the tax credit when purchased separately from a solar system. The bigger problem is to get someone to sell you a single Powerwall to add to an existing one. Get the right size system to begin with. Adding on solar or Powerwalls is a huge hassle.

As long as the Powerwalls are charged 100% from solar, you can get the tax credit when purchased separately from a solar system. The bigger problem is to get someone to sell you a single Powerwall to add to an existing one. Get the right size system to begin with. Adding on solar or Powerwalls is a huge hassle.
thanks for the clarification.