TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Coil over install costs

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by UWGorilla, Dec 17, 2019.

1. UWGorilla

UWGorilla Member

Just wondering what y’all paid to have coil overs installed + rear control arms / alignment. I’m in Seattle so any shop suggestions are also greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dolemite

Dolemite is my name

Gonna DIY this. Even considering DIY alignment but last time I did that I finished at 3 AM and seriously questioning my existence.

Alignment was perfect tho.

• Like x 1
  3. Lunares

Lunares Member

I was quoted $1000 to $1700 depending on the shop

4. Occhis

Occhis Member

I’d be very interested in your process for DIY alignment.

5. Dolemite

Dolemite is my name

At the risk of derailing this thread... I used this system from this small company:

4-wheel Alignment System - Tenhulzen Automotive | WheelAlignmentTools.com

It was on my NB Miata. Double-wishbone suspension all around - 16 eccentric bolts in total. Car was on coilovers so it was even harder to access the bolts, since it had to be on the ground. Every time you change one setting, it throws other measurements off. Plus, you need to ensure 1) the suspension's settled if it's new and 2) some changes require you to roll the car back & forth so that your adjustment has "set." Started in the afternoon & wrapped up in the wee hours of the morning before having to get up @ 7 AM for an auto-x. When I took it out I was totally expecting it to drive sideways, but to my amazement it was absolutely effing perfect & I understood why I'd never been satisfied with an alignment from a shop - it takes time. Probably much less time with a $50,000 machine and a lift, but I guess still more than is "profitable." Maybe I've just never been to a decent shop... Swore I'd never do it again & sold the system.

But... I think the Tesla's suspension is far simpler, so I'm *considering* trying it again - but not with anything from that company. They make it seem far easier than it is, and their customer support seems to have taken a hit. Some of their other products don't even make sense to me - like their "2-Wheel Alignment System." How are two plates supposed to ensure the car's properly aligned when all you're doing is adjusting the wheels relative to each other & not the actual car? So unless I figure something out, I'll probably just end up taking it to a shop & bitching until it's perfect.

Back on track... I bought MPP coilovers & will definitely be installing them myself, but that's just me... it's way simpler than people realize. But this is coming from someone who's willing to spend 14 solid hours aligning a $3,000 car, so take that as you will.

• Like x 1
  6. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

All 4x corners should be about $500 without an alignment, hopefully a little less. Alignment really depends on where you go, but probably another $100 to $200 for a high-end place.

LOL - So i take my car to a well-known race alignment shop (West End Alignment, look at their Yelp score lol) and funny enough they do not use ANY lasers for the aligning process. It is 100% manual and old school style (chalk on the tires and manual gauges).

Granted they have the lift with pads that allow you to turn the tires, but still you don't need the fanciest equipment all the time!

Man, that's gotta be a Tesla Tax.

7. Dolemite

Dolemite is my name

How much does that cost, if you don't mind me asking?

8. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Hmmm i have a terrible memory and it's cash only lol but pretty sure I last paid almost $200 for the alignment and about $350 for corner balance + alignment on a different visit, but i was the first Tesla they had worked on and had some additional adjustable arms that made it more time consuming for them to get dialed in.

9. UWGorilla

UWGorilla Member

I mostly have received quotes from 1320-1600 and 200$ for the alignment. Seems like alignment and corner balancing prices are alright, but the install prices are overinflated, I’ll keep looking around Seattle for a few weeks in the meantime.

10. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

Install without alignment shouldn't be more than $500

11. Lunares

Lunares Member

Specifically, it was $675 to install the coilovers, $135 for the front arms, $135 for the rear arms, $135 for changing out the sway bar links, and $275 for a track alignment (7.5 hours labor total @ $135/hour)

12. UWGorilla

UWGorilla Member

What shop was this? Cheapest I have is $1600+tax for everything here in Seattle or 1470 in Portland including alignment.