Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coil suspension getting harsher?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be my imagination (or the fact that I'm getting older), but, I swear that my ride is getting firmer with time. So much so that I've started to cringe when I go over even the smallest imperfections on the road. I currently have 67k miles on my 2016 Model S RWD. I mentioned it to the service center when I went in for an airbag recall but they said it felt fine. I'll be getting new tires soon, so, maybe that will improve things. But, in the meantime, has anyone else noticed a harshness with coil suspension as the car ages?

Tires do ride rougher as they age, plus, you might have some suspension components in need of replacement or adjustment (bushings, upper/lower links, sway bars). I have had good luck while in for service with asking them to have a look at those components. During the warranty period, they usually did this as goodwill. YMMV and times change, but worth (edit) trying again ...

Last edited:
In bicycle forks and rear shocks, damper oil needs to be changed regularly to keep performance as intended. Never heard of that on consumer car dampers though, but maybe something to check wit service?

Tires do ride rougher as they age, plus, you might have some suspension components in need of replacement or adjustment (bushings, upper/lower links, sway bars). I have had good luck while in for service with asking them to have a look at those components. During the warranty period, they usually did this as goodwill. YMMV and times change, but worth (edit) trying again ...

Yeah, my tires are currently at 5/32, so, I'll be replacing them soon (going to try the new Bridgestone QuietTracks). I'll ask the service center to specifically check those components when I bring the car in for the tire change and see what they say. Fingers crossed.