Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coil suspension ground clearance? Lowered since 2013?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2013
Belgium
The ground clearance of my current S85D on coils is sometimes driving me crazy; I have had the bottom of the car scrape garage entrances/exits and driveways more often than I want to remember.

The funny thing is that for three years with my previous S85 (non-D), also on coils, I never had that problem.

Even the very ordinary garage incline at my work (which any sports car will take without problem) I have to take perpendicularly to avoid scraping (and, of course, ask any passengers to get out of the car before the manoeuvre).

Two questions to the forum:

- Has anyone else experienced this difference between 2013 coils ground clearance and later models coil ground clearance? Or can anyone having traded in a 2013 'non-D' against a 2016 or later 'D' confirm that, in his or her case, there was no noticeable difference? (in which case my car probably has a problem);

- Apart from buying a new MS with air suspension :), what could be done about it? Can you just swap the suspensions for higher ones, or is that too simplistic thinking? Or better still, is there a way to adapt the height of existing suspensions?

(For reference, what I find as data from Tesla for current MS's is: Coil Suspension ground clearance 5.65"; Smart Air Suspension Ground Clearance 6.4" Very High, 6.0" High, 5.1" Normal, 4.8" Low)

REGISTER LOGIN

BACK TO TESLA MODEL S

Mild Driveway Scrape - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test
Old news but still a good read^
Author points out that unlike gasoline cars which have a single lowest point of contact somewhere beneath the vehicle, the entire underside of the Model S is the lowest point of contact. That combined with the long wheelbase doesn't make it a good vehicle for negotiating quick changes in incline.

If possible I would look into an air suspension model if I were you. I don't believe there are any aftermarket suspension solutions, especially for raising the car although I could be totally wrong. Someone please correct me if so.

• Informative
Reactions: Carl