Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coilover suspension modification - a question about your daily driving experiences

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
Not really lol, i dont live in desert or mountain or beach lol. I'll research it though for sure
I'd never drop 4K on a set of alu coilovers and not cover them. GIS corroded coilovers and have a gander at the results. I've seen springs break from corrosion let alone the damper bodies.

For ex.

Here are my covered coils that are at least a decade old by now.
Just pulled them off the car to clean and replace the sad, worn out bump stops.
20210712_173617-2.jpg

After cleaning, I also greased the seals which stay nice and clean from the covers.
20210712_180009-2.jpg

Reassembled, but I forgot to take pics with the covers. They cover the whole threaded boy all the way up to the pillowball. You can see in the second pic the corrosion on the top of the pillowball (spherical joint) yet the lower side is corrosion free due to the cover's passive protection. I ofc cleaned and greased the pillowballs with some military grease, real hard to push out.
20210712_110829-2.jpg

ganari

Dec 2, 2020
Philadelphia
I'm also curious about the performance of luxury / comfort coilovers. I came to Tesla cars from a Lexus SUV which had great suspension and I could take any bump at full speed and not really notice. It seems quite pricy to install coilovers so I would only do it if it's a day and night experience. If it is only slightly incremental then I would skip.
I got a MYP with MPP coil overs … and let me be the guy that says… it will NEVER ride like a Lexus. If you are looking for that type of ride, these coilover system will not get you there.

Aadi

Aug 30, 2021
Iowa city
I've got the MPP coilovers. What would you like to know? I have a MYP and on the soft settings, the ride is significantly smoother. The other change I made that significantly improved ride quality was switching to lightweight wheels.
Can you send me wheel recommendations. Also unable to decide between mpp vs ohlin

Ruffles

Jun 13, 2017
Snohomish WA
Can you send me wheel recommendations. Also unable to decide between mpp vs ohlin
I went with Signature wheels and chose MPP for the price and excellent support here on TMC. Representatives of Ohlin, UP, and others don't seem to be as active on the forums answering questions.

Reactions: Kelr316

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC