Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coilover suspension modification - a question about your daily driving experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently ordered my Model Y LR FSD and will be ditching my Lexus NX 300 F Sport. Lots of interesting and informative conversation on the merits of various suspension mods here! That said, most of what I am seeing is from the perspective of performance enthusiasts. I will say up front that my track rat days (turbocharge-modded Datsun 510 w/ Mullholland shocks) are long behind me. When I take delivery of my Y, we will be using the vehicle for extensive traveling. My wife and I are at the age where ride smoothness is highly important in allowing us to drive longer distances without fatigue. What I am hearing in a general sense is that coilovers can provide a significant enhancement to ride comfort. For this reason, I am seriously considering the mod, but I am having some difficulty in finding actual user experiences focused on this specific question. Can you folks help me out? Right now I'm looking at the Unplugged Performance system.

Search up on Unplugged Performance (UP), Mountain Pass Performance (MPP) and Redwood Motorsports coilovers. Also search up Ohlins (used by Redwood) coilovers. You'll find lots of threads on these. In general, Luxury, Comfort and GT are the type of coilovers you would want to use, all providing smoother rides. Price will vary. Skip tophats (which add NVH). Sway bars may not add anything with the coilovers. When I get mine, I will post a before and after video.

I have the Ohlin's from Rewood Motorsports. I LOVE them. Going to and from my son's house I encounter a country road 2 lane bridge that has settled creating a ledge that is about 3". I prior to the Ohlin's I had to slow down to about 15 mph to cross it. Now and can motor across it at the 40mph posted speed limit without any drama. I mean it is still 3" straight vertical but I no longer fear damaged rims or internal damage to my old body!! The improvement is shockingly better. I think any of the kit will provide great improvements.

Ohlin's Thread

Basic Info for Coilovers for comfort ride
  1. Changing tophats from stock may increase NVH
  2. Swaybars may not make much difference if using coilovers
  3. You may want Adjustable Rear Camber and Toe Arms to adjust camber better depending on your ride height. They may add some small amount of NVH

I'm also curious about the performance of luxury / comfort coilovers. I came to Tesla cars from a Lexus SUV which had great suspension and I could take any bump at full speed and not really notice. It seems quite pricy to install coilovers so I would only do it if it's a day and night experience. If it is only slightly incremental then I would skip.

Went from UP springs to MPP coilovers... night and day difference. I have it on the softer settings and it rides great but considering stiffening up the coilovers a bit. The MPP coilovers are made by KW btw. I believe they are equivalent to the KW Variant 3's but I could be wrong.
This makes me wonder if the Redwood are that much better than the MPP. Someone had the UP and got the Redwood and they said was night and day also...

This makes me wonder if the Redwood are that much better than the MPP. Someone had the UP and got the Redwood and they said was night and day also...

I would think so. Redwood uses Ohlins and also offers billet top hats. I think they also have a limited lifetime warranty. But I haven't had an opportunity to try ride in a Tesla with that kit. I have had experience in other cars with Ohlins suspension (Honda's, Miatas, motorcycles, etc) and those handled great.

I wont do tophats for sure, since i care about ride/noise. just debating if 1k better than mpp since mpp seems to be a cut above UP.
My current gut feeling, right up till purchase time for me, is Redwood's Ohlins Coilovers, add some ISC coilover covers, no tophats, and MPP's adustable rear camber arms and toe arms (because of the better bearings than Redwoods based on current info)

My current gut feeling, right up till purchase time for me, is Redwood's Ohlins Coilovers, add some ISC coilover covers, no tophats, and MPP's adustable rear camber arms and toe arms (because of the better bearings than Redwoods based on current info)
I was thinking redwood too. Redwood said i dont need arms at all since not dropping more than P level. What do the coilover covers do?

I was thinking redwood too. Redwood said i dont need arms at all since not dropping more than P level. What do the coilover covers do?
Coilover covers protect the dampers and springs of the coilovers from road salt and dirt. The Redwood coilovers are not made from stainless steel, so may be a bit more subject to corrosion.

But what does "P Level" mean? Is that the Performance version level?