Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coilover suspension modification - a question about your daily driving experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really lol, i dont live in desert or mountain or beach lol. I'll research it though for sure
I'd never drop 4K on a set of alu coilovers and not cover them. GIS corroded coilovers and have a gander at the results. I've seen springs break from corrosion let alone the damper bodies.

For ex.

Here are my covered coils that are at least a decade old by now.
Just pulled them off the car to clean and replace the sad, worn out bump stops.
20210712_173617-2.jpg

After cleaning, I also greased the seals which stay nice and clean from the covers.
20210712_180009-2.jpg

Reassembled, but I forgot to take pics with the covers. They cover the whole threaded boy all the way up to the pillowball. You can see in the second pic the corrosion on the top of the pillowball (spherical joint) yet the lower side is corrosion free due to the cover's passive protection. I ofc cleaned and greased the pillowballs with some military grease, real hard to push out.
20210712_110829-2.jpg

I'm also curious about the performance of luxury / comfort coilovers. I came to Tesla cars from a Lexus SUV which had great suspension and I could take any bump at full speed and not really notice. It seems quite pricy to install coilovers so I would only do it if it's a day and night experience. If it is only slightly incremental then I would skip.
I got a MYP with MPP coil overs … and let me be the guy that says… it will NEVER ride like a Lexus. If you are looking for that type of ride, these coilover system will not get you there.

I'd never drop 4K on a set of alu coilovers and not cover them. GIS corroded coilovers and have a gander at the results. I've seen springs break from corrosion let alone the damper bodies.

For ex.

Here are my covered coils that are at least a decade old by now.
Just pulled them off the car to clean and replace the sad, worn out bump stops.
View attachment 701754
After cleaning, I also greased the seals which stay nice and clean from the covers.
View attachment 701755
Reassembled, but I forgot to take pics with the covers. They cover the whole threaded boy all the way up to the pillowball. You can see in the second pic the corrosion on the top of the pillowball (spherical joint) yet the lower side is corrosion free due to the cover's passive protection. I ofc cleaned and greased the pillowballs with some military grease, real hard to push out.
View attachment 701757
Curious to see what the covers look like.

I wont do tophats for sure, since i care about ride/noise. just debating if 1k better than mpp since mpp seems to be a cut above UP.
Seems Redwood Auto Sports, Unplugged Performance & MPP make very good products. There is one YouTuber, gjeebs , who has posted videos a few time about his unplugged performance luxury coilovers (a different product than the springs only option). He likes them.
For me, if I ever decide to get coil overs for my Performance Model Y, I’ll most likely go the Redwoods Motors route or perhaps unplugged performance since they are a 25 minute drive from my house. When possible, I tend to avoid Canadian products since Canada decimated the industry I work in, USA’s computer generated visual effects & animation industry via government subsidies.
That’s just me. Do whatever works for you.

Recently ordered my Model Y LR FSD and will be ditching my Lexus NX 300 F Sport. Lots of interesting and informative conversation on the merits of various suspension mods here! That said, most of what I am seeing is from the perspective of performance enthusiasts. I will say up front that my track rat days (turbocharge-modded Datsun 510 w/ Mullholland shocks) are long behind me. When I take delivery of my Y, we will be using the vehicle for extensive traveling. My wife and I are at the age where ride smoothness is highly important in allowing us to drive longer distances without fatigue. What I am hearing in a general sense is that coilovers can provide a significant enhancement to ride comfort. For this reason, I am seriously considering the mod, but I am having some difficulty in finding actual user experiences focused on this specific question. Can you folks help me out? Right now I'm looking at the Unplugged Performance system.
@YldWest , what did you end up getting & how do you like the product?