Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coilover upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed Mountain Pass Performance (MPP) coilvers 3 days ago. Yes it's worth it, the bumps are smoother, you can adjust the settings. If using MPP coilovers I suggest the rear shocks be set 12/12 (top/bottom) and the fronts to 14/13 (top/bottom). Then from there play with the settings. MPP was the most I was willing to spend on the coilovers, if it didn't fix the issue I was aiming for which was sound reduction/booming, I was going to sell the car. It's sad for the money we spend we have to buy coilovers.

Coilovers reduced the bumpiness on the daily smaller bumps but were harsher on big bumps like pot holes. It's weird. It also reduced the boominess/pressure from the rear but not all of it.

links to any of these ? I was looking at Unplugged versions ... are you lowering the car any ? I know that is likely counterintuitive for improving ride quality .. but this car is begging to drop about 1" and it would just look so much better. those gigantic wheel arches somehow make 21" wheels look tiny with that much gap.

How much leeway do these cars have with alignment after you change ride height ? Would adjustable swaybar links or control arms be needed to get the camber/toe right for street driving ? I really dont wanna be replacing $400 tires every 10k.

I just installed Mountain Pass Performance (MPP) coilvers 3 days ago. Yes it's worth it, the bumps are smoother, you can adjust the settings. If using MPP coilovers I suggest the rear shocks be set 12/12 (top/bottom) and the fronts to 14/13 (top/bottom). Then from there play with the settings. MPP was the most I was willing to spend on the coilovers, if it didn't fix the issue I was aiming for which was sound reduction/booming, I was going to sell the car. It's sad for the money we spend we have to buy coilovers.

Coilovers reduced the bumpiness on the daily smaller bumps but were harsher on big bumps like pot holes. It's weird. It also reduced the boominess/pressure from the rear but not all of it.
Do you have a performance Model Y or a LR? Just trying to figure out how much improvement I would see coming from an LR with the 19 in wheels/tires.

Do you have a performance Model Y or a LR? Just trying to figure out how much improvement I would see coming from an LR with the 19 in wheels/tires.
I took a different path with the wife's MYP (Stealth). By dropping to an 18X8 wheel with a higher profile tire, not only did the ride improve but the curbing issues went away too. Got the whole package from Tirerack with sensors and tax for $1,870. The OEM's are in the shed.
Enkei Hornet 18X8 (+45)
Kumho Majesty 9 Solus TA91 - 245/50R18 XL

Last edited:
what size rims? I have the 19" gemini and waiting to upgrade rims after I get the ohlins. I was going to lower 1" but can't decide if 20" will still ride softly. thoughts on ohlins 19" vs 20"?
20s will ride great. Here's my car lowered on Ohlins + 20s. 285/35/20 square

Attachments

• Model Y.jpg
    Model Y.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 271

Im seriously looking at MPP and UPP and Ohlin coilovers (any others??) as I really want to lower a 20 MYP on stock 21s an inch to fill up those oversized wheel wells.

My question is will I be able to align the car as is or will I need a host of adjustable suspension parts to prevent those $450/ea tires from wearing due to -2 camber. Could I just do lowering springs to save some $ or better just for complete coil over kit ? I will do the install myself either way but I cant get a clear answer.

Would love if someone could compare/contrast Ohlin vs MPP vs UPP vs just installing lowering springs for a MYP looking for 1" drop on the factory 21" uberturbines to be used mostly as commuter but also some more spirited driving an possible infrequent auto-x or HPDE track day...

I do also tow a small trailer at times loaded with maybe 1000# worth of dirt bikes to some pretty remote areas so cannot be much lower than 1"

Last edited:
Wow. That looks good. What size rims ? Offset ? 8.5 or 9? Curb rash ? Does it sit flush with the fenders ? Wouldn't mind a little more aggressive look. What brand tired ? Quiet?
Rims are 20x10 +45 offset, no curb rash, sits pretty close to the fenders, but I could probably fit a 5-10mm spacer to be super flush. Tires are Kumho PS91.

Car is not louder than stock, maybe a little bit quieter since I switched to 20s. Car is my technically my wifes daily, so didnt want to go to aggressive.

Im seriously looking at MPP and UPP and Ohlin coilovers (any others??) as I really want to lower a 20 MYP on stock 21s an inch to fill up those oversized wheel wells.

My question is will I be able to align the car as is or will I need a host of adjustable suspension parts to prevent those $450/ea tires from wearing due to -2 camber. Could I just do lowering springs to save some $ or better just for complete coil over kit ? I will do the install myself either way but I cant get a clear answer.

Would love if someone could compare/contrast Ohlin vs MPP vs UPP vs just installing lowering springs for a MYP looking for 1" drop on the factory 21" uberturbines to be used mostly as commuter but also some more spirited driving an possible infrequent auto-x or HPDE track day...

I do also tow a small trailer at times loaded with maybe 1000# worth of dirt bikes to some pretty remote areas so cannot be much lower than 1"
All you need other than coilovers are rear camber/toe arms to get a perfect alignment.

Coilovers will always ride better than lowering springs. Regardless of what brand system you get, proper setup definitely makes the biggest difference.