Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a comfort coilover kit from Mountain Pass Performance. I plan on lowering my ‘21 Tesla Model Y (Standard Range RWD) to performance level height. Would a camber arm kit be necessary, as well as any other parts (such as cyber rear traction and toe arms)? Or could I just get coils installed and an alignment and call it a day.

- Marc

2021 MYLR, MPP coilovers installed around 10k miles, now at 22k miles. I kept the setting close to OEM, meaning I believe it's 1/2" lower then LR OEM.

Stock 19" ContiProContact, wearing very evenly all four corners. The installing shop said it's only when you lower beyond a certain point (how far???) is when camber arms are needed.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: miracj and JonB65
I ordered a comfort coilover kit from Mountain Pass Performance. I plan on lowering my ‘21 Tesla Model Y (Standard Range RWD) to performance level height. Would a camber arm kit be necessary, as well as any other parts (such as cyber rear traction and toe arms)? Or could I just get coils installed and an alignment and call it a day.

- Marc
I was told by one of the coilovers manufacturers that sway bars would add more NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness), albeit better handling. So if you are looking for a more comfortable ride, don't add them.

Reactions: marcd695
I was told by one of the coilovers manufacturers that sway bars would add more NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness), albeit better handling. So if you are looking for a more comfortable ride, don't add them.
@miracj My experience with aftermarket sway bars on other cars is the bars & mounts themselves really shouldn't add any noise. However it's common to also install aftermarket endlinks at the same time, and those bushing designs commonly wear out quickly in street use. Not saying they all do, just that's it's common. Especially exposed spherical bearings in my experience...but the ones I used that got worn and noisy within a year were pretty cheap, I've read that higher quality ones can last longer.

On one car I put well over 50k miles, maybe 70k, on a set of aftermarket sway bars without any noise. Stock end links that time though! I even purchased an extra set of mounts for those bars in case they wore out but they never did, I never needed the extras. The bars were still on that car when I sold it.

Btw there can be reasons you might really need/want aftermarket endlinks with an aftermarket bar, e.g. if the stock endlinks are known to be too weak when paired with a stiffer aftermarket bar, or if you need different fitment than stock allows.

I'm no expert on this, just mentioning stuff I've seen or experienced with other cars. I haven't looked into aftermarket sway bars for any Tesla yet. Going to install my coilovers and see how I feel about the setup before I consider more changes. I'm hoping I won't feel the need for anything more (besides control arm bushings), especially since I'm not tracking this car, I just want better control on the street.

- Marc
If your goal is comfort then the only thing you may need is the Camber arms to keep a stock camber angle. You may also need the Toe arms depending on how low you go. All of these aftermarket arms replace the stock rubber bushings with spherical bearings, so there will be added NVH for every arm you add. Some say there isn't anything noticeable, but it all depends on how sensitive you are.

I don’t think you need anything else if you plan on staying at Performance height, but get camber arms if you decide to go lower.

Note: I only have the rear MPP camber arms.

9A1110C2-07F0-4A03-9386-C0CA8828CDBD.jpeg