TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Coincidence? I don't think so...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tel, Aug 29, 2018.

1. tel

tel Member

3 year ownership with 58000 miles, just over the mileage limit for warranty, and the MCU dies. If I were the suspicious type, I'd assume that this was an evil manufacturing ploy, but I'll remain optimistic.

Anyway, for those that have had this experience, how long can I expect repairs to take? My guess is that the limiting factor is the supply of available MCU's, and not the time it takes to install a new one.

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Service centers seem to be able to get MCUs relatively quickly these days. I don’t think you’ll have to wait very long.

3. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I've had two replaced under warranty. It was a few hours. There units seem to be a bit problematic.

4. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

The service side of Tesla is not a profit center for the company (at least historically). They try to target service as a break-even. Of course this could have a lot to do with the many complaints and service not getting the attention from the company that it deserves, but it really explains the situation if there is little financial incentive to do so.

5. tel

tel Member

Truly - I was just joking about the planned obsolescence!

• Like x 1
  6. timvracer

timvracer Member

I don't believe this. $550 for service where they basically look at the car and replace my keyFob batteries? (... aaaaaand scratch my sunroof and have to replace it, but the replacement doesn't fit right so they have to order another one to replace THAT one... which I am still waiting for...)

ok, maybe they are only breaking even... the hard way. :-(

• Like x 1
  7. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I wonder if you'll get an MCU2.

I hope so. The MCU1 is known for killing itself.

8. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

It's mostly due to the flash memory in the MCU wearing out -- right?

The other common issue I know is the yellow banding issue where a liquid starts leaking from the screen. If you pay for a MCU, try your best to get MCU V2.0.

9. UkrHog

UkrHog Member

My MCU was just replaced under warranty on a 2017 Model S. After about 20k miles the yellow line showed up. After it was replaced Inasked if they were able to install the MCU 2 and one of the service managers said at this point they are no compatible. Disappointing. Hope this one lasts longer than 20k miles!

10. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

11. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Yeah, it'll need to be compatible at some point, if it isn't already. As far as I'm aware, NVidia doesn't make the chipsets in the original MCU anymore. Eventually they'll run out of stock of MCU1s for replacements.

• Like x 1
  12. swegman

swegman Active Member

MCU2 uses a different wiring harness from the MCU1. Tesla has to make an adapter harness to install a MCU2 in a car that was originally built with an MCU1.

• Informative x 1
  13. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

MCU in the first car failed at 63,000 miles the night before it was to be traded in at the factory for the current car.

Had the SvC at the time reviewed the logs that they requested for review the week before when the MCU failed more briefly, they would have seen the alerts that would have prompted them to replace the 12V, thus avoiding the low voltage condition that contributed to the premature demise of the MCU.

Instead, there was a fire drill to resurrect the MCU prior to driving 6 hours (7.5 hours due to the delay getting out of LA) to the factory (the mobile tech did what he could to no avail), and then to find a loaner for the drive. Non-AP, which was unfortunate, as the stalks are switched along with the obvious delta.

Disappointing that there's no actual retrofit available yet for those that want one. The announcement was made months ago.