Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold air leaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

afp915

Feb 19, 2021
Korea
I have a 2020 model3 and i've be trying to fix a problem with outside air which seems to be enterting through the side of the door. It seems to be near the area where you control the seat position. I have added the extra rubber door seal but still feel the air entering. My knees and feet feels always cold with this air flowing in. Does anyone have any idea how to block this air flow.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Isn’t there suppose to be some kind of insulation at certain parts inside the door panel to prevent airflow into the cabin? If so maybe your car is missing it in that area.

Just a few more thoughts. I know the car is designed with airflow to the B pillar camera and charging area for rapid heating of those areas during winter when you pre-warm the car on high. Not sure about where the door handles are on the outside but wonder if that could be an area of concern.

Were you able to resolve the issue?
I have similar with with my MYLR 2002 July build in Fremont.
Didnt noticed until weather got cold, but whenever a large vehicle (bus, commercia truck, trailer) passes me at the driver side on highway speed, I can feel the cold air leak(drift) on the b-pillar side of the driver's door. It feels like air is leaking between the weather sealer and window? Not sure. However, I brought up this concern to SC twice, but they were not able to resolve it rather stating, 'could not verify customer's concern'.

Were you able to resolve the issue?
I have similar with with my MYLR 2002 July build in Fremont.
Didnt noticed until weather got cold, but whenever a large vehicle (bus, commercia truck, trailer) passes me at the driver side on highway speed, I can feel the cold air leak(drift) on the b-pillar side of the driver's door. It feels like air is leaking between the weather sealer and window? Not sure. However, I brought up this concern to SC twice, but they were not able to resolve it rather stating, 'could not verify customer's concern'.

I tried to find where would be the place that cold air is coming and found that bottom left corner of the door (and viewed inside the car) is allowing some outside air to enter. When I compared the interior plastic around that area, driver side was much cold than compre to passenger side. My next SC is not until Jan 4.... so I bought the weather seal from amazon, and will see if this can help.

I tried to find where would be the place that cold air is coming and found that bottom left corner of the door (and viewed inside the car) is allowing some outside air to enter. When I compared the interior plastic around that area, driver side was much cold than compre to passenger side. My next SC is not until Jan 4.... so I bought the weather seal from amazon, and will see if this can help.
I went to SC and they said "this is normal for frameless door cars."
My driver side upper door trim corner with B pillar is severe that I can feel cold air coming in.
Let me know weather seal works or not.

I went to SC and they said "this is normal for frameless door cars."
My driver side upper door trim corner with B pillar is severe that I can feel cold air coming in.
Let me know weather seal works or not.

yeah, I don't think it should be normal for frameless door cars. If that was the case, this issue would have been discussed well in this forum but not many are experiencing.

My brand new 2023 MY Performance is having this same issue. Whenever a larger vehicle passes me on the freeway I feel a cold air draft whoosh passed the side of my face. I’ve tried setting the ac system to manual and opening the lower vents only thinking it was coming through the upper vents but it doesn’t make a difference. I have yet to wash the car yet because I just got it and I’m worried that water will leak inside if there’s some kind of leak somewhere. We will see how that goes… have to say I’m not too happy with the quality of these cars especially at this price point..

Same issue here. 2023 MYP Fremont build. Feeling cold air on the left side of my neck in areas of high wind, and also when large trucks pass me. There are no panel gaps, and nothing leaks in when it is raining. I noticed the middle pillar seems to be very cold. I cannot pinpoint where it is coming from exactly, but I'm guessing somehow it might be coming through this tiny circular hole where the top of the seat belt is located? I'm not sure though or how it would leak in through there. Has anybody figured out the cause yet or have any updates?

Recently wrote about my experience to air leak. want to hear yours as well

Here is the problem. Both doors were fully closed
9DC36371-02E5-4741-97D9-55E4A3298FFC.jpeg
7DACA658-501E-491A-AE11-9E047390EDAE.jpeg

Just an update here. Took my 2023 MYP to the service center and a tech rode in the back seat while I drove on the freeway. He verified the air leak and felt the draft whenever a larger vehicle passed by us. They unsuccessfully attempted to repair it twice and it spent a total of 2 months with them. They offered to buy the car back. Don’t know if I will buy another one as I don’t want to deal with this again.

Just an update here. Took my 2023 MYP to the service center and a tech rode in the back seat while I drove on the freeway. He verified the air leak and felt the draft whenever a larger vehicle passed by us. They unsuccessfully attempted to repair it twice and it spent a total of 2 months with them. They offered to buy the car back. Don’t know if I will buy another one as I don’t want to deal with this again.
Can you provide an invoice (black-out person information) hoping to get SC to try to fix this.