Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Battery Degration By Charge Amount

ngogas

Sep 19, 2018
Utah
i know that battery degrade quicker from cold weather. But has anyone seen or have scientific proof that EV battery degrades quciker at certain battery charge levels?

I am curious if 50% charge degrades at a quciker rate then say 85% and so on? Or none at all?

ngogas

Sep 19, 2018
Utah
@Vintre I think you almost got the question. Let me reword this....

If the temp is 20 degrees f. The battery is charged to 80 percent. Will the rate of discharge at this temperature at this charge % be more/less/equal compared to 20 degrees f at 40 percent battery charge. Assuming speed and distance driven are exactly the same.

Stretch2727

Engineer and Car Nut
Nov 8, 2015
East Coast, USA
@Vintre I think you almost got the question. Let me reword this....

If the temp is 20 degrees f. The battery is charged to 80 percent. Will the rate of discharge at this temperature at this charge % be more/less/equal compared to 20 degrees f at 40 percent battery charge. Assuming speed and distance driven are exactly the same.

Yes, energy is energy. The consumption and discharge is the same at 80% or 40%. The starting point does not matter. Some may argue there is less consumption at 40% than 80% as the battery pack peak output is lower. Also, There maybe some protections that kick in at lower state of charge <20%. But, in general the consumption is the same regardless of state of charge.

That said, at 20 degrees F the car will consume more so better to have a higher state of charge to leave yourself more margin in case the car consumes more than you expect or you have an unexpected diversion.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
[Let me reword this....

The power will be the same but the SoC will drop faster at the lower temperature at the same energy/mile consumption.
Why ? At lower temperatures the battery capacity drops.

To use a well-worn and somewhat useful metaphor from the age of petrol: at lower temperatures the tank size shrinks. A cold and full tank is still 100% full but it has less available energy.

--
Aside: degradaton is not a word, degradation is. However for this discussion there is no degradation.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC