Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold battery icon not appearing in app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! First time poster, long time reader, Model Y owner. As the temperatures start getting below zero in Ontario I've found that the cold battery icon - blue snowflake - is no longer showing up in my (up to date) app. When I enter my Model Y, I can see that there is a chunk of unusable battery and the corresponding snowflake icon, but this info is no longer being displayed in my app. Without the icon in the app I am unable to determine whether or not to precondition my battery without going out to the car and checking. Anyone else having this issue?

Are you referring to the red sign close to the batterie icon on the top left of the app when warming up the interior.
This means the batterie is warming up and when you start driving even with low temperature (4° C), you have 100% regen.

Batterie heater.jpeg Batterie Max regen.jpeg

Hi again. Just back from service - No luck here. Tesla claims that the snowflake icon no longer appears on the app home screen. They said it will appear in red in the climate section in the upper right when you turn on the climate or defrost (along with the heat/bacon icon when battery is being warmed). These icons are still not present in my app even when the battery has a blue chunk represented on screen in car. I found several images online of what the representation used to look like in app: a blue chunk of the green charge bar with a snowflake next to the battery icon. Do people still see this? Am I the only one who has ZERO indication of a cold battery in app? Would appreciate any images of what peoples app looks like with a cold battery to help better communicate the issue with Tesla service. Thanks!

BTW - I am running software version 2022.4.5.3 and app Version 4.5.1

My problem in my Tesla model 3 LR from nov 2020. Is that I never se the blue frost icon next to battery anymore in the car or in the app. ( this icon normally this icon shows when the car battery is under 5C in temperature) If i then start the preheat, then I normally can see the red bacon icon in the app.

none of the icons is showing up anymore, and it we have around 0C in temperature here at night. I know many with the same car and model as me. And there are still seeing the icons for cold battery and the battery heating bacon icon.

I only see the red heating icon, if I charge the car to 100% then it some times show up. But never the blue frost icon.

Tesla service, can't find anything and they make it sound like it's just me and there is no problem.

I know that my car has some kind of malfunction and i hope my battery will not take any damage for it. because the battery temperature control, is not working. And tesla is not taking this seriously.

(i never see this blue frost icon anymore, and yes we have low temp here atm.)

Attachments

• IMG_3244.JPEG
    IMG_3244.JPEG
    306.8 KB · Views: 140
Uh…… why do you need to see the blue icon? It doesn’t really mean much other than the battery feels cold. The red heater icon is a bit more informative since it tells you the battery heater is on.
I have none of them.. And are you happy if you don't know if the software takes care of you battery temperature. The function is there to keep your very expensive battery healthy.

Very is it. That people think it's only a icon... battery temperature is very important for keeping the battery happy.

If you really want to know what's going on you'll need an obd2 cable and adapter plus scanmytesla. Otherwise the car doesn't say much. But it takes care of itself well.
So you really don't think that tesla service should fix a 1 year old car. Hmm funny that you say that. Even my local Bosch auto center, that has access to obd diagnostic for tesla, says that they will not go on my odb data stream as long as the car is under 2 years.

If it was your car you really think that you would just ignore some functions not working.

So you really don't think that tesla service should fix a 1 year old car.

Not sure that there is anything wrong with the car though.

The snowflake icon does not show up in the app anymore. The snowflake icon also does not show up in the car as often as it used to. Never for me at 0C anymore. Try -10C or -20C.

The bacon icon in the app gets hidden for me by the lightning bolt, when I pre-heat and am plugged in. However, via the Tesla API, and the charge current, I can see that the battery heater is on. If you can watch your charge current, and the battery was charged to the set point before cooling down, the heating current is around 6-7kW for cabin heat and around 6-7kW for the battery heater (2019 non-heat pump car). So when I pre-heat the car, I see the battery current in the app at 12kW, and I know that the battery heater is on, even though there is nothing showing in the app to indicate that.

I think you are worrying about nothing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220224-061306.png
    Screenshot_20220224-061306.png
    480.9 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Vawlkus
You are misunderstanding me. I thought you wanted to know if/when your battery is cold etc. My answer is to read the raw data instead of relying on tesla to show you. They are deliberately not showing much to keep it simple.
I installed the obd port and used scanmytesla in my car the first month I got it, because I like to know what's going on.

I also don't believe your car is broken. Tesla often change the temperatures at which things happen in software updates. They changed the temperature needed for max regen, the temperature at which the battery gets warmed in preconditioning etc. You might be expecting something that doesn't exist anymore. By using scanmytesla you'll know what is happening in all cases.

So you really don't think that tesla service should fix a 1 year old car. Hmm funny that you say that. Even my local Bosch auto center, that has access to obd diagnostic for tesla, says that they will not go on my odb data stream as long as the car is under 2 years.

If it was your car you really think that you would just ignore some functions not working.
Hard to fix something that’s not broken.

This is an icon in an app, not something the car does.

You are misunderstanding me. I thought you wanted to know if/when your battery is cold etc. My answer is to read the raw data instead of relying on tesla to show you. They are deliberately not showing much to keep it simple.
I installed the obd port and used scanmytesla in my car the first month I got it, because I like to know what's going on.

I also don't believe your car is broken. Tesla often change the temperatures at which things happen in software updates. They changed the temperature needed for max regen, the temperature at which the battery gets warmed in preconditioning etc. You might be expecting something that doesn't exist anymore. By using scanmytesla you'll know what is happening in all cases.
I have this OBD and scan my tesla and the better for iPhone tes LAX. I did many hours on reading data. So this is nothing new to me.

One of my coworkers have the same car as me. 100% same car. If we park the car side by side over night. He will have blue frost icon in the app, and blue frost icon on the car display. In the app the battery line is not green but orange and som of the battery capacity is missing. The line will go green after 10-15 min heating and he sees a red bacon icon in app when it is heating.. ( I had all of this last winter). His bar showing regen. Is filed with small dots, telling that regen is limited. I have none of this now. ( We have same app version and even same phone model) and app and phone has nothing to do with the missing blue frost icon in car.

When I look on obd data. I have full 85 kw regen, even with cold battery. I only get regen limited if I'm 100-90% SOC.

If I start the preheat I can see that the car use around 3500 watt ( because of heat pump) and the car get warm. So this working. And if I put in a tesla super changer on the gps, the pre condition work too..

The blue frost icon will be visible when the battery temperature is under 5C according to tesla.

I have nothing even at -5C and that temperature is from OBD data...

The other day I did move a other workers car to a charger. And that had the blue frost icon too in the car display. ( But that was a 2020 model without a heat pump)

The other car is from the same VIN range and was delivered 10 days after I got my car.