TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cold charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by apacheguy, Jan 27, 2016.

1. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Didn't want to further derail discussion in wk's thread so I created a new one.

Following off of a linked PDF, I found this text:

Why does cold charging induce pack imbalance? And how do cell imbalances contribute to reduced life? Imbalances are correctable, I thought, by a single range charge.

Source:

http://www.totalbatteryconsulting.com/industry-reports/Tesla-report/Extract-from-the-Tesla-battery-report.pdf

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

#2 Johan, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    In cold temps the internal resistance is increased and if different cells in a pack, charged with the same voltage, had very different temps then relatively more of the charge would go to the hotter cells and the pack as a whole would become unbalanced.

OK, so think of two cells in parallell, one hot and one cold. Hook them up one charger. More of the current would flow to the hotter cell as opposed to the colder one (because of lower resistance) and it's voltage would rise faster (=it would fill up faster). So when the hot cell was at 100% SOC the cold cell would be below that = imbalance.

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Could they be thinking that absent an external heating/cooling system, the battery cells can go to different temps and charge at different rates. It sounds weird to me. Sounds like exactly why there is a BMS and it can control each cluster independently.

4. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Exactly, one of the reasons the Tesla pack has fluid based temperature control.

5. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

So really nothing to worry about given Tesla's BMS and thermal management.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Li-on hates temp extremes. That's why we need to plan. If you can charge the car in a temperate environment, like a conditioned garage, you are fine. But if you charge outside in either hot or cold, it takes good planning because the BMS will throttle charge significantly to protect the battery and the electronics. It's the nature of the battery.

7. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

We charge in a climate controlled garage at our apartment. I've been able to see this with our Focus Electric. The Focus Electric has liquid thermal management & the cell temperature imbalance is usually relatively small when the car has been parked overnight inside & charged. The biggest temperature differences happen when driving & warming the car after it has been sitting in the cold all day.