TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cold feet?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by michaelkaing, Mar 8, 2016.

1. michaelkaing

michaelkaing New Member

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced cold feet on the driver's side of the Model S? I've taken it in for service and they report that the climate control system is working fine, but the area near the pedals remains colder than the rest of the cabin, even when the heat is cranked up and set to the "feet" setting. It feels like there is a draft though there doesn't seem to be any air movement. I've tested the heat with a laser thermometer and the temperatures in the foot area are 10-20 degrees lower than the rest of the cabin or the passenger side. I'm in Northern California so it's never incredibly cold, but this is both strange and frustrating.

2. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Yes. I was told the same thing -- it was working properly, but the airflow in drivers foot area was much less than the passenger side -- obviously not working correctly -- just have to keep asking to get them to fix it.

Depending on when your car was made, there may be a service bulletin to improve airflow that involves a new cover for the vents (this should only apply to older cars as new cars supposedly have this new part).

This SB fixed the issue in my 2013 car: SB-13-18-002 Footwell Cover Update for Improved Air Flow

Another cause might be a bad door or window seal, but those usually cause extra wind noise in addition to the heat leakage.

3. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Not after my fem-pop bypass and getting the A1C to 9 with 2PPD :)

4. Dave85D

Dave85D Member

I also find the floor setting on the HVAC to be completely unacceptable in the 2015 model.

I recall that a programming change was made earlier to provide more air to the windshield because of fogging issues, but it seems they over compensated. When it is set to floor only, there is still a LOT of air coming out the defroster vents as well as the dash vents. The HVAC Auto setting is fine but please let us have full manual control.

5. Zextraterrestrial

yep same as the OP
    feels pretty cold down there when I touch the parts above the pedals with my hand. was told long ago that it was working fine, or 'as designed' anyway.

6. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

turn off range mode.

7. Lex

Lex Member

I rarely if ever run Range Mode, but have noted the exact same thing as the other members -- the driver's side footwell receives much less heat than the passenger side does, and when it's cold enough outside it's impossible to warm up my toes if I'm coming in cold to a cold car.

I submitted a bug report via voice but I have a feeling they listen to those on Friday afternoons for fun... if it was still cold up here in Toronto I would now send an email but instead I'll just hope it is a software issue that is fixed by next winter :wink:

8. valerikim

valerikim Member

I never used Range Mode either and I also feel like one of the firmware updates changed the airflow in a way that driver's foot area is significantly colder than the rest of the cabin even when the airflow is manually set to "down".

9. tstafford

tstafford Member

I agree. The heat seems to have gotten screwy after one of the recent updates.

10. AgentWimplo

AgentWimplo Member

I've experienced the cold feet in my 2015 since delivery. I got some improvement with custom HVAC settings but still noticeably cold at my feet. I have noticed some wind noise but mostly from the small side glass and around the door. Since I've experienced it since 7.0 I don't think its software related in my case but I guess that is possible. I plan on having it checked when I go in for service this summer (perfect time to have my cold weather problem sorted out right :) ).

11. Spidy

Spidy Member

12. brkaus

brkaus Member

Very cold feet when I had my test drive and it was in the 40s out. Not cold by many standards.

13. ChadFeldheimer

During an annual service, I asked the service center to look into a lack of airflow in the driver's side footwell (noting that the passenger side is fine). They inspected it and said it was normal. I quipped: "I guess I'll start wearing thicker socks".

At least it's warming up now. My lease is up in 2 years, so only 2 more winters to go!

14. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

If I've discovering anything new about Tesla since becoming a Model S owner, it's that cold weather is not a priority for Tesla, not beyond being able to claim that's it's possible to own a BEV in cold weather. Tesla wondered why North Eastern sales were so weak in the last earnings conference call. Hmmm :-/

15. smsprague

smsprague Member

Same thing for my June 2014. Was fine then a firmware update messed it up.

16. ztodd

ztodd Member

I have the same issue. Just took delivery last week. The first day or two I thought maybe it was just me, but anytime the outside temp is below 60 and I'm in the car for more than 20 minutes I notice my toes are quite cold. Sounds like that's just the way it is, which is disappointing.

17. Tuan

Tuan Member

Confirmed. I have experienced the "cold feet" as well.

18. David29

David29 Member

Have a look at this earlier thread, especially post #5. might be helpful.

My feet are freezing!

I suspect there are other threads as well.

19. michaelkaing

michaelkaing New Member

Thanks everyone. After experimenting with various settings my best guess is an air leak, though I can't find the source and there is no noise. I'm going (back) in to the service center tomorrow ... hope they can straighten it out.

• Like x 1
  20. bartdv

bartdv Member

Any one any experience with cold feet in version 8 ?