Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold/Hot weather range impact with induction rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies as I am sure this is a question that has been answered elsewhere. I am aware that the inductions bring range from 315 down to around 270. Any insight into cold weather impact on range given the heat pump, and also what folks are experiencing from a range perspective in hot climate?

Thanks!

There is no singular number that represents "real range". That is because the terrain, driving style, and climate vary wildly. Some drive at 55, others at 70 or 80. A cold climate may be 40F or -20F.

If you have a practical concern, such as reaching a remote destination, you can often do so by reducing your speed.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Matsayz
Apologies as I am sure this is a question that has been answered elsewhere. I am aware that the inductions bring range from 315 down to around 270. Any insight into cold weather impact on range given the heat pump, and also what folks are experiencing from a range perspective in hot climate?

Thanks!

Since Tesla only started producing the Model Y in March and have pretty much only delivered them to North America where it’s been “warm” there’s not much info to go off of. I did see a YouTube video by “JerryRigEverything” I think where he had two prototype/engineering Model Y’s in Alaska that did quite well but those were not production vehicles.

Hopefully the heat pump performs miracles but until winter hits and people starting offering their experiences it’s kinda a crapshoot. You’ll just have to look at Mode 3 info which is it’s gonna take a decent hit when it comes to range, 20-30% depending on temp and blah blah blah. So who knows how much more the wheels will bring it down. I’d recommend getting a dedicated winter setup anyways with full time snow tires if your region gets enough bad weather.

There are ways to combat it but in the end it is what it is. Pre-heat the battery about an hour or two before leaving, turn on the heat in the cabin, use the heated seats...