Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold legs new MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I swear I read a post about this but can’t seem to find it — I’ve had my MY for a month now and have consistently noticed the heat in for the lower vents is nowhere as warm as the upper vents. Feels like cooler air blowing on my legs. It doesn’t seem like it’s purely cold air, just colder air. Enough to be uncomfortable. Is this normal? Or may I have a heat sensor issue on the verge?

My legs have been cool as well. I typically have the air flow spilt between floor and face. Yesterday I tried switching it directly to the floor only. So far it felt much better and I didn't really noticeuch of a difference up top.

My fan is set fairly low, and that also might have been part of the problem. I've had it set to 4, and maybe that's not enough volume of air to really split.

Dunno but I'm going to try keeping it on the floor for a while longer.

Reactions: teskari
I've noticed this since I got my MY in November. Tesla says their remote diagnostic shows no problems. I'm not keen on using the dash vents in winter, but unfortunately it's the only way to defog the door windows. I find that if I turn off the dash vents, the footwell gets even colder and I have to boost the temperature setting by 3 degrees (C) to really feel comfortable. Tesla Service says that's because the temp sensors get their reading from the air flowing through the dash vents, and when those are turned off the system synthesizes a temperature value. I've tried using recirc but it doesn't improve. What I have noticed recently is that regardless how cold it is outside, the footwell is comfortable if the car is stationary but starts to cool down as soon as it is in motion. I can't feel any obvious air leaks but that would explain the problem. The footwell temperature shouldn't get cooler when driving with recirc, but it does.

Reactions: TesBear
I definitely have the same issue (Jan 2021 build MY LR) and I find that it happens once the cabin gets up to the set temperature. I think it is aggressive with cool air in trying to maintain the cabin at the set temperature. I feel it more commonly on trips longer than 15-20 min. I just got the sensors replaced yesterday so I'll see if there is any change.

I swear I read a post about this but can’t seem to find it — I’ve had my MY for a month now and have consistently noticed the heat in for the lower vents is nowhere as warm as the upper vents. Feels like cooler air blowing on my legs. It doesn’t seem like it’s purely cold air, just colder air. Enough to be uncomfortable. Is this normal? Or may I have a heat sensor issue on the verge?
I've noticed cooler airflow to legs a few times too- it is distracting and slightly uncomfortable. I also started to wonder if it was an issue with heat sensing/
I'll try shifting the airflow down. I felt like I tried this and the next time I got in the car it was up again, but I'll have to pay more attention.

June 2020 build.

I posted a similar issue in the “Model Y Heat” thread. I think it is aggressive at cooling the as the post above says. Heats quickly and it is fine at first, but 15-20 minutes later i feel like it over compensates to cool the cabin so it doesn’t get too warm. I especially notice this at highway speeds, and I still experience it after the sensors have been replaced. I would say it doesn’t freeze me out, but it is enough to be uncomfortable sometimes. The Highlander drove previously had automatic climate controls and I hardly ever touched it and never even noticed myself feeling hot or cold.

I posted a similar issue in the “Model Y Heat” thread. I think it is aggressive at cooling the as the post above says. Heats quickly and it is fine at first, but 15-20 minutes later i feel like it over compensates to cool the cabin so it doesn’t get too warm. I especially notice this at highway speeds, and I still experience it after the sensors have been replaced. I would say it doesn’t freeze me out, but it is enough to be uncomfortable sometimes. The Highlander drove previously had automatic climate controls and I hardly ever touched it and never even noticed myself feeling hot or cold.
Fully agree - temperature fluctuation seem to be excessive and unnecessary. I've also noticed the default vent selections are not really appropriate for colder weather. It seems that above 7C (45F) outside, the selection in Auto mode is dash vents only. At these temperatures I still expect some heat to be directed at my legs because they get cold!