Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold near door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice that their heating is uneven? I get hot and cold spots around the drivers position, especially cold near the door at my left leg. There is plenty of hot air coming out of the system if I turn it up, but nothing on the left underside of the dash.

Trying to figure out if this is "normal" or if i should add this to the list for service.

Anyone else notice that their heating is uneven? I get hot and cold spots around the drivers position, especially cold near the door at my left leg. There is plenty of hot air coming out of the system if I turn it up, but nothing on the left underside of the dash.

Trying to figure out if this is "normal" or if i should add this to the list for service.

Same as mine and with the sudden drop in temperatures in Virginia this week I can feel the cold air coming from the corners of the door, apparently a common problem that they do have fixes for. I guess Ill need to schedule but by the time i get in it will be late Spring :wink:. mine is a late 2013 delivered early 2014.

In the same vein, I noticed a lot of cold air coming through the interior door handle area. I hadn't noticed it previously but it has been in the single digits here lately.

Perhaps the insulation wasn't installed properly? I'd mention it if you're bringing your car in for service anyway.

There are a number of air/heat leaks that can be addressed. The triangle window near the base of the A-pillar, the surrounding seals of the door, and the seals that keep air from entering through the exterior door handles. I recently had all 3 fixed at the service center and it has made a big difference in the cold spots and wind noise.

Also, if you have an earlier car there is a service bulletin for an updated cover for the foot vents that improves air flow. Also had that applied to my car, as there was very little airflow to the driver foot area (much less than passenger side) and it helps a lot.

There are a number of air/heat leaks that can be addressed. The triangle window near the base of the A-pillar, the surrounding seals of the door, and the seals that keep air from entering through the exterior door handles. I recently had all 3 fixed at the service center and it has made a big difference in the cold spots and wind noise.

Also, if you have an earlier car there is a service bulletin for an updated cover for the foot vents that improves air flow. Also had that applied to my car, as there was very little airflow to the driver foot area (much less than passenger side) and it helps a lot.

I had the A-pillar window fixed in December, seals around the exterior door handle in January (which was then letting air into around the entire door trim panel and the interior handle), and the driver footwell in February. Each made a serious difference. The footwell change was significant. I can actually feel the air blowing down there now when I couldn't perceive anything when directing air to the floor and pumping the fan to 10 previously.

The downside now is that I noticed that while its in the 30s outside and I have the car in the 70s, if I put it on recirc, it will blow cold air after 10 minutes. If I leave it on fresh air, it will keep blowing hot air (all with range mode off). This sucks though as the gas cars around me and all running rich because of the cold and its making for an unpleasant experience.

Happy to see this thread, I noticed it in the 15@ NE cold this morning and just attributed it to the extreme weather - but the door handle in particular was ice cold. I also notice that when I'm preheating the car I can feel a little warm air coming from the exterior door handles. Glad there is a fix.

Yes. Thanks. I actually never use range mode. Don't need it. I can set the car to all floor and I can clearly feel that perhaps 80% of the air is coming through the dash vents with barely a whisper of air coming out of the floor vents. I just don't know how they can say that it is working as designed. On one trip, I actually wore super-thick hiking socks, plush jammy bottoms (with little sail boats on them, of course-the looks at the SC were priceless) and slippers for the drive to stay warm! Everything from the waist up was fine.

Oy.

Yes. Thanks. I actually never use range mode. Don't need it. I can set the car to all floor and I can clearly feel that perhaps 80% of the air is coming through the dash vents with barely a whisper of air coming out of the floor vents. I just don't know how they can say that it is working as designed. On one trip, I actually wore super-thick hiking socks, plush jammy bottoms (with little sail boats on them, of course-the looks at the SC were priceless) and slippers for the drive to stay warm! Everything from the waist up was fine.

Oy.

I would have smiled, but only because I know the pain. Just checking though, fresh air mode, recirculate mode, or auto for that?