Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Soaked Tesla w/ trickle charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many on this forum , patiently waiting for Model 3
Asking fellow skiers who own Model S about trickle charge.
Impossible to secure garage at most resorts for car but sometimes Ive been able to trickle charge my Volt.
Adds tiny amount of range which is not the issue.

Wondering about leaving cold soaked Model 3 or S for a day or 2 at resort.
No indoor garages available.
My suspicion is that trickle charge cannot warm up cold soaked battery fast as Ive seen Norway video on how long a supercharger takes...
Can a trickle charge prevent a battery from getting cold soaked.

Essentially asking Model S owners to chime in on what happens in VT NH MAINE when you go for a day a weekend or a week of skiing.

Thanksl

In my experience if you arrive with a warm battery and plug in immediately you still get some charge on a 110V/15A outlet. That's if its in the 20s though, I don't have any experience with it when its colder.

Check out plugshare if you have not already to the nearest destination charger.

20 mins/day of destination charging is better than a trickle charge. I live in NH with a Model S75.

The heat from the drive unit will help to heat the battery. So, the more you drive, the faster your battery warms up. Also, the battery heater itself consumes at most 6kw. If you have a level 2 charger giving out 7kw, you will only have an available of 1kw to charge the battery. So, with a level 1 (110/120 outlet) I imagine you will not charger the battery at all since it does not produce enough power to charge the battery at the same time as heating the battery.

As many on this forum , patiently waiting for Model 3
Asking fellow skiers who own Model S about trickle charge.
Impossible to secure garage at most resorts for car but sometimes Ive been able to trickle charge my Volt.
Adds tiny amount of range which is not the issue.

Wondering about leaving cold soaked Model 3 or S for a day or 2 at resort.
No indoor garages available.
My suspicion is that trickle charge cannot warm up cold soaked battery fast as Ive seen Norway video on how long a supercharger takes...
Can a trickle charge prevent a battery from getting cold soaked.

Essentially asking Model S owners to chime in on what happens in VT NH MAINE when you go for a day a weekend or a week of skiing.

Thanksl

Reactions: Drax
It’s all about the temperature. Realistically, a trickle charge isn’t going to do much of anything for adding range if it’s under ~40F, but it will help keep the battery from completely cold-soaking. If you get under 15F though, forget about it.

The best thing I can suggest to simply supercharge to 100% as close to your destination as you can, and then just enjoy the slopes and forget about it. When you’re ready to leave, just pre-heat your car remotely and drive. Your car and battery will be fine.

Reactions: Surfertom