Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather and Consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed today my consumption was quite a lot more than of late. Normally I average about 300 W/miles but this morning it was more like 350. I wasn't expecting quite such a big jump in energy usage. Anyone else notice this? Makes you wonder what -5 deg c will give.

I noticed today my consumption was quite a lot more than of late. Normally I average about 300 W/miles but this morning it was more like 350. I wasn't expecting quite such a big jump in energy usage. Anyone else notice this? Makes you wonder what -5 deg c will give.
Only to be expected with the colder weather. Also worse if your car is kept outside at night, meaning a cold battery in the morning. In the depths of winter you can expect a range hit of 20-30% compared to summer.

The range percentage reduction predictions need a lot more detail.
I have a 10km each way commute, and have seen as low as -32c.

On a -20c morning if I don't preheat the car plugged in I have seen energy use nearly triple but then begin to fall but still be over double when I park. Initial heating is a huge hit and short trips make this a last most of your driving time. On a longer drive at your temps you might only see a 10% range reduction, but on short drives will see consumption spike much much more.
Range wise you can mitigate this with preheating while plugged in, granted you are using the energy, just not from the battery so it doesn't show up on your dash.

For me the difference in energy consumption between summer and winter here in southern England is 20%.

I've just had a quick check on TeslaFi and my 5k miles between 1st Nov - 1st March gave an average 366 Wh/m.

Similar mileage between 1st May - 1st Aug gives 303 Wh/m

My lifetime average Wh/m is 331 based on 37k and 2.5 years. MS 75D on 19" wheels

My Model S was showing up to 400 for last 30 miles this week after some short journeys but once on a longer trip the average went back down to roughly normal.

Teslafi so far says that my "efficiency" at 5-10 degrees is 13% less than at 15-20. However (unsurprisingly for the time of year) I've c.2000 miles at the higher temp range and just 200 at the lower temp. For mine this stat doesn't change materially if I exclude shorter journeys but that's probably because I don't do many. Will be interesting to see this graph after a few more '000 miles.