Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Weather and the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm heading up to my parents place this Thanksgiving, and looking at the weather, it's going to be really cold (high of 17F, low of 0F). I was wondering how well does the car work at that cold of temperatures? Will the car keep the battery at a certain temperature if it's plugged in and charging?

Since my car will be outside, I will have to run the UMC cable from the garage to my car. I was also wondering how well does the cable handle having the garage door on top of it (so they can keep it closed while I'm charging).

Thanks for everyone's help!

Don't worry, the car perform very well in cold weather. Just expect less range, and don't try to charge on a 110V outlet when temperature is below 0F as you will use all the energy to heat the battery and not charging.

If the car is not plugged, you'll not lose charge, but when you'll start you may have less power and regen capabibity.

After reading the forums here, I got really scared of my trip in 30-40F temperature, as my road trips were typically in the 70-90F temperature. The car performed like a champ. Watch the trip tab of the energy consumption. That's about it. The trip tab did a great job estimating how much range I'll have at the next SpC. I think I maybe needed to charge just a tad longer than usual to get the extra buffer for the cold temps.

If you have access to a 14-50 for the UMC at the destination, you will be fine. Use Shore Power (UMC) to preheat the cabin and battery when you can to save the battery for driving. Most garage doors closing on the UMC cable are fine; just keep the middle blob high and mostly dry.

Here is my story from a couple of years ago about hypermiling in the cold across the Rockies and a link to a good thread on this subject: Realistic Range Expectations in Crummy Winter Weather - Page 2

I'll do that. Sadly the Service center here in town didn't have a NEMA 6-15 outlet in stock, and I'm heading up there tonight. I'll plug it in to the 110V outlet he has, and will get one on order. I'll be back up there for Christmas, so I can use it then.

I've had no problems with the garage door closing on my cable. I would just make sure that it has a rubber seal on the bottom to make a softer contact. Or leave the door open about an inch.

Since I regularly charge outside, I just cut a slot in the concrete under the garage door. Works great.

If the car is not plugged, you'll not lose charge, but when you'll start you may have less power and regen capabibity.
it has been my experience that this is not correct. parking the car in 15f temps overnight I lost over 25 miles of range and I was shocked and called tesla and they advised to always try to have the car plugged in when the temps are that low.

it has been my experience that this is not correct. parking the car in 15f temps overnight I lost over 25 miles of range and I was shocked and called tesla and they advised to always try to have the car plugged in when the temps are that low.

Remember that some of the range will be 'regained' once the battery warms up. Since that process takes energy as well you still end up loosing more than during warmer nights but it is not as bad as the displayed range may suggest

Remember that some of the range will be 'regained' once the battery warms up. Since that process takes energy as well you still end up loosing more than during warmer nights but it is not as bad as the displayed range may suggest

But if there is a way to plug in--even if it's only 110V--it's better to do so.