Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather drivetrain stuttering/knocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took MY out yesterday in sub freezing temps with no preheat (yea I know I forgot and had to head out quick). Battery pack was frozen with 0 regen available.

My driveway is steep and soon as a pull out I lift off gas and car starts stuttering and knocking with loud noise coming from engine. Thought a control arm had gotten loose or something, best way to describe it is a newbie driving a manual car and the clutch being enhanced/disengaged sharply.

Anyone experience anything similar?
Assume it has something to do with 0 regen and something going wrong in that scenario. It stopped as soon as I reached the bottom of the hill and drove off.

Wasent slippery and definitely was not the brakes kicking in (ie the same type when autopilot brakes on slow speeds and loud sound comes from brake pedal). This was definitely coming from motor area.

Wasent slippery and definitely was not the brakes kicking in (ie the same type when autopilot brakes on slow speeds and loud sound comes from brake pedal). This was definitely coming from motor area.
Were you backing down the driveway?

There have been reports from some new Model Y owners of the Model Y making a drum like booming sound when standing still (idling?) or when backing up.

More here: One week in - A couple questions.

Last edited: