TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cold Weather Driving

Discussion in 'Blog Archive' started by Doug_G, Jan 15, 2015.

1. scottm

scottm Active Member

I'm noticing a difference with v7 HVAC... it's said to be what? 'more efficient' read: "scrimp on power" therefore "less effective".

It seems to be taking longer to clear windows at -10C and rear windows never clear.

My solution so far, is to put insulation (foil bubble sheet cut to size) up on the inside of the pano glass.
    This is helping. I have it in rear section of glass, and will be doing front sunroof section next.

Hardware fix for a software problem.

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

Hey, anyone light a contained candle and put it in the cup holder for additional interior heat?

Just an idea..

3. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

Great info, well presented! Thanks much, I had been getting bits and pieces from various other threads, but you've put it all together extremely well.

4. CobaltBlau

CobaltBlau Member

Great post :smile:. I was skeptical when I bought the winter tire package from Tesla and saw that they had Pirelli's, like you I would have rather had the Michelin - X-Ice Xi3 tires on the rims or the Nokian's all weather. Hopefully this winter winter and the next 3 winters are OK with the Pirelli's, otherwise I'll have to change them :rolleyes:.

5. wayner

wayner Active Member

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

@CobaltBlau - this winter will hopefully be relatively wimpy due to El Nino. But I ran my Pirelli set through two hard winters, before I finally came to my senses and switched to XIce3 for the third winter. Huge difference, which was really underscored when I got a loaner with Pirellis and we had a snowstorm!

@wayner - You can set up a start time for charging, but not an end time. There were hints maybe they would do this in the early day, but in practice it's a bit hard to figure out due to variable HVAC load (the pack needs heating if it's very cold out).

Best bet is to set the timer to start the charge in the wee hours, but early enough that it will definitely finish. If you can park your car indoors so it's not exposed to the wind it won't cool down all that quickly. Then you can use the Remote App to preheat the car, which will also warm the battery. (Oh and make sure Range Mode is OFF for this!)

7. Viogene

Viogene New Member

Thank you Doug and other contributors for essential tips.

I just bought my new Model S 85D and I will be experiencing de Dual drive in winter and I will come back to you. I will really push my Tesla to the max this winter, because I live way north in Quebec and -40 C is not rare and sometimes for 3-5 days in a row. Hope that the -50 experience will not become a reality! I will build a garage in next spring, but my car will be on her own this winter... :)

I am happy I bought the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2!-)

Alex
    Tesla 85D Brand new owner!-)

8. DPain44

DPain44 Member

Thanks Doug_G. This was very helpful to a new Tesla owner who just received his car in December with little time to figure these things out. I am disappointed to read all of the negative comments about the winter tires.

9. ElectricTundra

ElectricTundra P85D AP1

Thanks Doug for this great info.

Based on the recommendation from the Minnetonka MN Tesla store I'm planning to try going this winter in my P85D with the standard all season's. We'll see how it goes. If it's a light winter and the gov't folk do a good job keeping the roads clear then hopefully OK.

10. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

For those of you who (like myself) received your cars in winter you will be initially disappointed with the range and operation of the car in cold weather (except for some features like quicker cabin heat than ice vehicles). But come summer time, the car really shines and I found myself with way more range than what I felt was normal. In summer the stated range is actually very close to what you get where in winter I factor about 25% loss due to cold.

• Informative x 1
  11. jbdvm1988

jbdvm1988 Member

How do you figure out the range decrease in cold weather? The battery icon simply counts down the miles regardless of actual energy usage as best I can tell. I have used the wh/mile info from the energy app but it's a moving average based on 5,15 or 30 miles. Help this rookie during the first winter of MS in Michigan

12. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

About preheating, you said:

"If you're not plugged in then it's a different story. You could end up using quite a bit of battery power preheating. This is not just running your battery down; it's also using up a little bit of your battery's lifetime."

On what are you basing the statement that the battery's lifetime is affected by preheating while not plugged in?
    I don't see how that's different than using the battery to drive or other power-hungry functions.
    Do you have any evidence that the battery's lifetime is affected by preheating while not plugged in?

• Helpful x 1
  13. wjns

wjns Member

Thanks for your write-up.
    I can fully confirm this, first hand, for slippery and icy roads or wet roads. On fresh snow traction is good, strange tires.
    Now we use Goodyear and Dunlop winter tires, they are in all conditions very good.

14. David29

David29 Supporting Member

Thanks for this, great post! Our weather in the Boston (MA) area is not as severe as the Canadians get, but I can validate several of your observations and data points about energy use after just a few weeks of winter with my 70D.

15. AdrianEdson

AdrianEdson Member

Where I live the weather sometimes drops to -40 Celsius.... Will the model s start in this weather? My daily commute is only about 20 miles... So I'm not too concerned about range.... More just if the car will actually turn on, lol.

i plan on parking the car in a garage each night however at work my car will be outdoors and might not be able to be plugged in for the 8 hours I work.

16. AdrianEdson

AdrianEdson Member

That's great to hear! Being from Saskatchewan I'm glad to hear -40
    Isn't the end of the world for a tesla!

17. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Mayhemm lives in Northern SK. You might want to send him a PM if you have any more questions.

18. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

You really, really, really should find a way to plug in to 110V at work, it will make a big difference. The car will "start", that's no problem.

19. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

Great read - though I am bummed that I read it AFTER I bought my Pirelli SottoZero 3 XL's 2 weeks ago. I have a Model D so I hope that helps a bit. In Toronto, it gets to -10C on average and snow removal is pretty good. To make matters worse, I have Pirelli's on the two other family cars that I bought last weekend. A big expense on what could be a poor choice of product. I wonder if under-inflating by 3-5% might help with the traction?

20. Tribaltech

Tribaltech Member

What an amazing and thoughtfully well written article. This will be a HUGE help for me for traveling long distances in the winter. Thank you so much