TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cold Weather Driving

Discussion in 'Blog Archive' started by Doug_G, Jan 15, 2015.

1. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

I understand the Wiki issue. I am not sure how to catalog these types of threads. I always felt there needs to be some sort of overall info area that is not car dependant.

Maybe just relabeling the blog category would help. Now it sounds like some sort of archive that only the desperate should go to. ;)

Maybe some sticky threads that point to these blog posts would help.

2. TaylorN17

TaylorN17 New Member

Do you think the Model 3 will have some of the same methods of heating the cabin that the model S has? Like using the coolant from the motors instead of just the resistance heaters?

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I expect the technology will be very similar. What they have works well.

4. Almast

Almast New Member

I try to be as careful and cautious

5. aesculus

6. bart513

bart513 Active Member

Has anyone tried to retrofit the winter package? I bought my car from an owner in CA and not having the wipers/washers work in cold weather was a problem for me.

7. kmistry1986

kmistry1986 Member

IMO the heated wipers do not add any value vs. regular wipers. I do not see a difference in what we have on our S vs. any other car that I've driven so you aren't missing much.

The heated seats are another story though. Those are very useful and I would imagine you could get new seats but that could get $$$.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They didn’t have heated wipers when I got my Signature S. Didn’t really miss them.

Also, I have no solid evidence that the heated wipers in my 100D actually do anything useful.

Heated seats are definitely useful. You can save a lot of energy by cranking them up and reducing cabin heat.

9. scottm

scottm Active Member

My opinion of winter package... after a few years of use on Model S.

Heated windshield: has no meaningful effect. In fact, when heated windshields break in other cars I've had, I replace them with non-heated versions to save the few bucks.

I'll sell you my heated washer nozzles. I'm replacing them with non-heated fan spray nozzles. Because I don't like the 2-prong spray that is hard to aim right on the heated nozzles, the fan sprays are non-heated. I never use the "heat my nozzles" button anyway because it doesn't generate enough heat to make a difference... if nozzles are frozen and not spraying the button will not thaw them while you're driving, they stay frozen for the whole ride. I have to park indoors heated for about an hour to thaw them. They freeze in the pipe going to the nozzle. The pipe is not heated. Yes I use -40C fluid when it's not summer, so I don't know why this happens maybe the alcohol evaps out of the juice and raises the freezing point after long periods of disuse. (ICE cars have enough heat under the hood to thaw the lines, I do miss that free heat sometimes.) Using washer spray in the winter here is kinda hazardous when it's so frozen outside you get immediate haze of ice. Heating the car enough to have a warm windshield is a battery killer on HVAC.

Heated mirrors: only come on when you put on the rear window defroster. A power hog. I wish the mirrors had their own independent heater button then I'd use them more. Really, they don't frost up much in winter when the rear window is frosty. They do mist up on moist cold days when it's more of a problem for them.. and the rear window is clear. Hence: Tesla: separate the button. I've toyed with the idea of adding my own button. Or, adding side cams where the mirrors are and adding screen/s in the car for side views. It's easier to heat / clean camera / lenses than whole big mirror surfaces. Maybe next refresh Tesla drops the side mirrors?

I don't use the rear defroster much because I don't really care to look out the rear window very much for what's behind me. You can't see much out of it anyway even on a clear day, other than what's right behind you several car lengths away. I just tend to ignore the rear window view unless I'm stopped or backing up, then I use the backup camera. Use side mirrors a lot. Pretend the rear window is painted solid black. You can still drive the car quite nicely and friendly on the road using all the other possible views and courtesies.

Heated seats: a must where I live. To save on using whole-cabin HVAC heat, to preserve range. Comfort. Get these. Worth the price of winter package! If they sold these separately at lower cost I'd buy them and ditch the rest of the winter package.

Heated steering wheel: wasn't included in my year car, but is now with the winter package. Would be nice to have. Wish I had this one, but not enough to retro-fit. I have leather insulated gloves with finger-tip pad for touch screen that works well enough.

• Helpful x 1
  10. scottm

scottm Active Member

On a side note... I like the way Mercedes Benz did the heated side mirrors on my 1987 300D (still owned and driven!).

They really nailed it... there is no user interface, no button, not even an indicator of being on or off. They simply work. Individually thermostatically controlled set to about 5C (I think) or lower temperatures they come on and stay on all the while you're driving. Low wattage mildly heated resistive elements that obviously have longevity of service life.... still working today 30+ years later. I'd be OK if Model S did the same way.

11. bart513

bart513 Active Member

Sounds pretty disappointing except the rear seat and steering wheel. Wonder why the heat isn’t in the right places??

12. scottm

scottm Active Member

Heat buttons aren't in the right places because, California.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  13. bart513

bart513 Active Member

LOL. Last winter the windshield was a problem. If it was a cold day/night it was hard to keep the ice from forming even with the defrost on. Then not being able to use the spray because it was frozen was an added frustration and safety issue. Im' surprised that the heated wipers don't make more of a difference. Also heating the pipe is the obvious solution to the spray not working. So far the above reports say that the heated nozzles don't do the trick!

14. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Use winter washer fluid. It should never freeze. No heated nozzle is going to help that.

15. aesculus

Interesting fact: In California you cannot buy winter washer fluid at most stores below 4,000 elevation. You can add your own alcohol though. I ran Everclear in one of my cars for a season of skiing.:)

Consumer Products Regulation Affecting Automotive Windshield Washer Fluid

• Informative x 1