Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather experience Model 3LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does regen have logic equivalent to ABS? Will it back off and let the wheels rotate if they start to lock up? If not, then if you were to press the brake pedal when regen locked the wheels, would ABS kick in and start them rotating again?
Yes it does back off but not until it's already lost some traction. It's a bit scary on ice because the back end starts to move around before it backs off. The main difference between ABS and Regen braking is that brakes are heavily biased towards the front axle so you don't have that same instability.

So it kind of works like ABS, but it's just a scary version of it.

• Informative
Reactions: MLXXXp
It wouldn't be so scary if Tesla enables regen on the front motor, and they should for the snow/ice. Regen on the front motor would be so much better than friction brakes, just do it Tesla!
A "Snow Mode" you could enable which would set the AWD to 50/50 instead of Rear until slip and then Front on acceleration, AS well as more front braking would be amazing. I do love my M3P but on really slippery roads it could be improved.

A "Snow Mode" you could enable which would set the AWD to 50/50 instead of Rear until slip and then Front on acceleration, AS well as more front braking would be amazing. I do love my M3P but on really slippery roads it could be improved.
Since you have an M3P, have you tried Track Mode v2 in the snow? Maybe start with 50/50 on the handling balance, regen all the way down/off, and play around with the settings from there.

This thread is about M3LR so I didn't want to chime in about Track Mode v2 before, but I am super stoked to use it in the snow someday.

Since you have an M3P, have you tried Track Mode v2 in the snow? Maybe start with 50/50 on the handling balance, regen all the way down/off, and play around with the settings from there.

This thread is about M3LR so I didn't want to chime in about Track Mode v2 before, but I am super stoked to use it in the snow someday.
I will actually and see how it works. That's a good idea.

Yes, absolutely!
The car takes care of the batteries first and foremost, so warming them up before the trip (while you are still plugged into a charger) will minimize the extra electricity drain from warming the batteries.
Also, parking the car in a warm place (enclosed garage) helps a lot as well, since it does take a while to fully warm up icicle-frozen batteries that may have set in sub-freezing temps overnight.

The exact #s may differ a bit, but the principle and the physics remain the same.

All-season tires suck in all seasons. But they are a cheap and dirty compromise for all OEMs who can't control in what climate the car owners may choose to settle.
As you are in Canada, I would not dare drive on all-season tires in the winter. Not if I wanted to get there every time, and didn't have access to another car with snow tires. Get snow tires on another set of wheels (but you know that already)!!!

HTH,
a

Thanks for your reply! Greatly appreciated!

Why? Why do people say things that are not true. Braking is not all about tires. The motors help a lot in a Tesla.

Braking performance is ALWAYS about tires. I have not owned a car in the last 40 years in that the brakes could not lock up the tires. At least from a single stop. Brake fade from repeated high speed stops are a different matter.

Braking performance is ALWAYS about tires. I have not owned a car in the last 40 years in that the brakes could not lock up the tires. At least from a single stop. Brake fade from repeated high speed stops are a different matter.

Exactly right - if your brakes can lock up the tires (true for all production cars for many decades, even with engine in wide-open throttle mode!), then the rest is all about maximizing tire traction and contact patch with the road. Car's motors could work with (engine braking) or against (WOT acceleration) the brakes, but it doesn't matter, as long as brake scan overpower the motors. Which they always can, and do (which is why "unintended acceleration" lawsuits against Audi in the 90s were 100% BS).

We could follow up with an in-depth discussion on the effects of slip angles, tire patch deformation, static vs. dynamic friction coefficients. But the punchline is in the picture below:
Coefficient of Friction.jpg

Bottom line - when a car's tires lock up and it slides along the road, it takes a longer distance to stop vs. optimally modulated rolling tires (by threshold braking, or via ABS).
Model 3 had early problems with problematic ABS modulation algos. Thanks to Consumer Reports uncovering the flaw, it got (mostly) fixed by now.

The rest is all about the tires.

Last edited:
I believe the video from TeslaBjorn is at least a year old. On recent software I've seen my dual motor regen from the front as well as accelerate from the front even in gentle acceleration. I think this happens after the car has detected some slipping, for a while, until things go back to normal (rear only) after a while without slipping. This was on snowy and slippery roads.
Yes, the regen will reduce if the wheels lock, somewhat similar to what abs would do.