Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather experience with the tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in Morgan Hill area. The temp in my garage does not fall below 65-70. We were at Carmel Valley this morning, right after we drove off the hotel, "Seven" started to complain the right front tire is at 37psi. I am already worried about not having a spare, that warning did not go well. We drove to mid valley, by that time the tire started to show 39psi with others around the same level. Good, that means I don't have a flat. I continue to drive, at one point it showed 41psi and the warning went away. I came home and topped all tires to 43psi.

Not having a spare freaks me out. I'll carry a air pump next time. I noticed a product in my local grocery store "yes, we still have one, thanks to Charlie the owner" that says it will fix the tires up to 20" and TPMS friendly. Anyone has any experience? I am trying to have an option of fixing my tire without paying for a brand new tire.

Onur

Not having a spare freaks me out. I'll carry a air pump next time. I noticed a product in my local grocery store "yes, we still have one, thanks to Charlie the owner" that says it will fix the tires up to 20" and TPMS friendly. Anyone has any experience? I am trying to have an option of fixing my tire without paying for a brand new tire.
Funny you should ask. I live in Baltimore, and apparently dropping temperatures wreak havoc with tire pressures and prompt warnings on cars with tire pressure sensors. I've gotten warnings several times in the last several weeks.

Early this morning, I had to drive someone to the train station, about 15 minutes away. I saw a low pressure warning for the front left tire, but wasn't particularly concerned. But as I was coming home, the pressure continued to drop, and when it got down to 20 I got a warning telling me to pull over. i wasn't sure whether it was really accurate, but fortunately I was near a gas station, and pumped air into the tire. It never got up to full pressure, and when the pump cut off, I could hear the dreaded hissing sound....

So I drove home, and called good old Tesla Roadside Assistance. To put it mildly, that was a most unsatisfactory experience. The person I spoke to was perfectly courteous, but informed me my two options were to have the vehicle towed to the nearest Tesla service center--in Rockville, about 50 miles away--or to a tire repair store of my choosing. (For the last year, Tesla has been saying they were opening a center in the Baltimore area, but so far that hasn't happened.)

They apparently have "loaner wheels" for the S, but not the X. She said they are "working on" providing that service. Nor do they offer any temporary repair capabilities, like shooting goo into the tire and pumping it up. She gave me the specs for the tire, which she said she got from the Rockville Service Center.

Because I find the road noise level to be unacceptably high on all but smooth asphalt roads, I have been looking into more silent replacement tires. Apparently the Continental "Silent" tires don't come in 20", so I called the service center to see what they could tell me. Of course. I got repeated voicemail for both parts and service, and an hour later still haven't spoken to anyone.

So your concerns about not having a spare are well founded. In addition to the obvious lack of anything to put on the car, Tesla's lack of any real assistance for owners of $100k+ cars is somewhat shocking. I shudder to think about how this would have played out if it happened at night, in a more remote area. At a minimum, Model X owners should carry one of those run-flat aerosol kits, but Tesla needs to step up its game on this one in a hurry.

And while I'm on the subject, anyone have any input on 20" lower noise tires?[

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
Geesh, you get a nail in a tire and it's all Tesla's fault they don't come to your home in minutes and hold your hand?

Please.

ANY tire shop can address this--just pump up your tire and go there. I've usually had good luck with DiscountTire.com (named America's Tire in CA, IIRC).

Also, if you're traumatized by all this, and deathly worried about the future, then drop $50 here:

Tesla — Tire Repair Kit

Geesh, you get a nail in a tire and it's all Tesla's fault they don't come to your home in minutes and hold your hand?

Please.

ANY tire shop can address this--just pump up your tire and go there. I've usually had good luck with DiscountTire.com (named America's Tire in CA, IIRC).

Also, if you're traumatized by all this, and deathly worried about the future, then drop $50 here:

Tesla — Tire Repair Kit
Actually I would agree with you except I was under the impression, reinforced by the support agent, that the tires were not standard off the shelf tires, and they had to tow my car to Rockville, and she wasn't even sure they had the tires in stock. So at that point, especially since she said they had loaner wheel/tire sets for the S, but not the X, I was getting a little edgy, and when I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone at the SC in either parts or sevice, i was definitely feeling somewhat screwed.

Once I found out this is a more or less a stock tire i really didn't care as much. Far more interested at this point in finding the continentals....

Thanks. Now I see why I could't find them. These are listed for a P90D. I have a 90D, and they don't come up for that. Will they be OK for my car?
They're tires! Yes, they'll be fine as long as they are the correct size and load rating (they are).

Seriously people, there is NOTHING special about Tesla's that require you to use the tires they spec. YES, they can ALL be plugged by a tire service center.

They're tires! Yes, they'll be fine as long as they are the correct size and load rating (they are).

Seriously people, there is NOTHING special about Tesla's that require you to use the tires they spec. YES, they can ALL be plugged by a tire service center.
My question was really directed to whether there is a difference in tire specs between a 90D and a P90D? I probably wouldn't ask, except the Tire Rack site says these tires are not for my car, but they are for a P90D....

I ordered them today, so I'll find out for myself in a couple of days. But can anyone tell me if they actually find them appreciably quieter than the Michelins? I sure hope so.

I love my X more than almost any car I've ever owned (probably second only to the1967 250SE convertible I bought in 1970, still own, which has a smoother ride than the Tesla or my previous BMW 7s, and after almost 50 years the interior still has an amazing leather smell) but the road noise in the X is my only major disappointment, and a constant source of irritation. So I really hope these are the answer.

By the way, I purchased a Slime kit from Amazon. I drive with a bit more "not a lot more" less worried.
Which one did you order and why? They have a lot of them. I don't see the value in the repair kits, but there seem to be at a few emergency kits, some with and without the inflation pump.

Also will slime work with the Conti silents with the pads?

Which one did you order and why? They have a lot of them. I don't see the value in the repair kits, but there seem to be at a few emergency kits, some with and without the inflation pump.

Funny, I don't see the value in emergency kits (with foam/gel/slime) as they render the tire unrepairable afterwards. I prefer to repair it with a plug and continue to use the repaired tire indefinitely.

Reactions: goneskiian
My question was really directed to whether there is a difference in tire specs between a 90D and a P90D? I probably wouldn't ask, except the Tire Rack site says these tires are not for my car, but they are for a P90D....
Yes. The P90D's got summer performance tires and the 90D's got All Season tires. What your most likely seeing is that Tire Rack only has the P90D in their system.

I bought the Tesla version with the pump which is likely just a rebranded version of the Slime system.

I would wager that it won't work well with the foam insert tires.

Also, keep in mind that it won't work with any sidewall punctures either.

Funny, I don't see the value in emergency kits (with foam/gel/slime) as they render the tire unrepairable afterwards. I prefer to repair it with a plug and continue to use the repaired tire indefinitely.
This. I may actually return the kit and get a DIY plug kit for this very reason. Although having the small air compressor could be handy to top off the tire once it's plugged.

Reactions: vandacca