Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather fun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Vancouver, our winters tend toward wet, rainy and just above freezing. However, when it does freeze, it's usually only overnight, then warms and melts during the day. That is exactly what happened this weekend. Snowed overnight on Friday, warmed a bit Saturday, then chilly Sunday morning.

So, since I am one of those who has to park outside, I had a surprise for me this morning. it seems that some snow melted into the doors such that the windows couldn't move. Meaning that not a single door could be opened, as the windows couldn't drop down to clear the door seal.

I did pre-heat the car a few minutes earlier, so clearing snow and frost off the windows was easy, but had to wait another 10 minutes before a door would open!

Note to self, pre-heat for at least 1/2 hour on snow days!

Here in Vancouver, our winters tend toward wet, rainy and just above freezing. However, when it does freeze, it's usually only overnight, then warms and melts during the day. That is exactly what happened this weekend. Snowed overnight on Friday, warmed a bit Saturday, then chilly Sunday morning.

So, since I am one of those who has to park outside, I had a surprise for me this morning. it seems that some snow melted into the doors such that the windows couldn't move. Meaning that not a single door could be opened, as the windows couldn't drop down to clear the door seal.

I did pre-heat the car a few minutes earlier, so clearing snow and frost off the windows was easy, but had to wait another 10 minutes before a door would open!

Had that exact same thing happen to me yesterday here in Seattle (hi neighbor!) although a bit of bumping got the drivers side open without too much issue.

On top of which, the side view mirrors were stuck in the folded position. Needed to bang off some ice and press the fold/unfold button several times before they were usable. Not too big a deal though once I got it working

My big problem in some bitter single digit cold last winter was the window not sealing properly. The melted ice would re-freeze on the rubber seals. In one case the window was flexed so much I was worried it would break. I'm still not sure if there's a good method to prevent/solve this.

Soak silicone spray into driver's door window seal every month during winter. You still have to scrape off any ice on the glass (or let the sun do this) but the seal wont stick as much. You can also run credit card along, separating seal from glass. If you MUST leave home immediately open hatch, crawl into car, and drive off with impunity. :smile:
--

@Wycolo

Oh my god the image of that is just too funny. Please have someone take a picture of this if it ever comes down to it. We need a picture in the random Model S sightings page of someone crawling in the most dignified way possible through their hatch to drive off in their 100k car.

Reactions: Filter
Soak silicone spray into driver's door window seal every month during winter. You still have to scrape off any ice on the glass (or let the sun do this) but the seal wont stick as much. You can also run credit card along, separating seal from glass. If you MUST leave home immediately open hatch, crawl into car, and drive off with impunity. :smile:
--

LOL, swiping the credit card won't actually charge anything on it, I hope?

These are funny but on a more serious note, I have to say I note them down, because it might also happen to me any day now!

Freezing temperature in NY this morning. When I opened the rear doors they were initially stuck to the car, but did open.
When I closed the doors, I noticed that the window glass was raised above the chrome trim on the roof. I tried to lower the windows with the controls but they would not budge. I had to manually push the windows down a bit and was able to eventually get the doors closed with the windows in the right place. After driving to work and heating up the interior, the power windows worked and the glass were realigned.
Looks like an issue due to temperature and due to the glass sticking to the seals. Cold weather stinks.

Same thing happened to me this morning. Woke up to an unusual -8°C, and all the windows were frozen. Thus making opening & closing the all doors tricky, trying to get the windows to go under the little lip at the top. Usually the car automatically pre-heats in the morning, but you make a good point to set it to preheat a lot longer on days like this.