Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Weather Issues - Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

YYZ-IAD

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2018
Buffalo NY, Toronto ON
I've been on upstate NY road trip through recent cold snap (West Mass to Buffalo). Have encountered consistent issues that I assume are common with others in cold temps? Temps have generally been single digit F (-15 or so C)

Charging has not been possible at overnight stops (hotels, relatives house, etc). In morn, I've headed for closest supercharger. Observations:
1) Today at 1F, stayed in "starting to charge" for more than 10 minutes, so tried another unit. Same issue. Finally went to closest L2 charger - and got a 6kW indication. After 30 minutes, finally got 1kWh of charge. Went back to supercharger, and then it started to work - although at a very low rate - like 6 kW for 10 mins or so - before getting some improvement to 20kW.
2) Yesterday, 4 degrees F, at another supercharger in morn, screen indicated "supercharging" but stayed at 0 kW for at least 10 mins. Switching units didn't help - so gave up and headed to next supercharger down the thruway.
3) Appears that driving some distance warms up battery sufficiently - so that supercharging back to near normal rates.
4) I am generally chill driver and summer consumption averages less than 300 Wh per mile. Yesterday on long trip on thruway, I consistently used over 450 Wh. Assume because: low temp of battery, "heavier" air from colder temps, softer tires, frozen snow on car had worse aerodynamics, more road friction from poor road conditions.

On good news, Model S with Michelin X-ice winter tires is a mean machine blasting through all sorts of nasty road conditions. Never felt insecure with handling.

A great education last days for someone 7 months into ownership and first real winter experience

Last edited:
A similar thing happened to me this past weekend in Grand Rapids, MI. Temp in the morning was about -2. It took about 10 minutes on supercharger before I finally saw a trickle of charge. Another Tesla owner was having the same issue so they called the Tesla service center which said the chargers must be done. After 20 minutes, started to get some decent charge going but was still pretty slow. I know it can be slow when cold but never actually seen miles and kw at zero while plugged into a supercharger. I now know to always try to charge when the battery is warm if it's going to be extremely cold and my car will be sitting out.

Reactions: YYZ-IAD
Trying to supercharge a cold soaked battery is an exercise in futility. At first, the battery is too cold to take a high rate, even if it's nearly empty. The charge rate will gradually increase as the battery warms, maybe to 50kW-ish if you're lucky. By then, the battery is warm enough to take a fast charge, but too full to do so. So the charge rate starts to drop as the battery moves further along the taper.

As @Barry said, charge before bed while the battery is still warm.

• Informative
Reactions: YYZ-IAD
I hope you called 8777983752 to report your problem?
Attached is a picture of your battery heat/cooling system.

Attachments

• Tesla-p100d-battery-cooling-architecture-1024x694 (1).jpg
    Tesla-p100d-battery-cooling-architecture-1024x694 (1).jpg
    173 KB · Views: 140
I hope you called 8777983752 to report your problem?
Attached is a picture of your battery heat/cooling system.
What "problem"? The behavior reported in the OP is standard "can't supercharge when cold" behavior, not a problem. No need to harass support...
This is what manual states.
And yet the OP specifically said overnight charging was not available at the hotel... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Rocky_H
It's often possible -- and highly recommended -- to plug in to 120V overnight to keep the battery warm (I've heard conflicting opinions, but I always turn off range mode before doing this, to ensure the battery heaters run). Many, perhaps most hotel parking lots will have a 120V convenience outlet at the base of a lighting stanchion, etc. Be discreet (don't run an extension cord halfway across the lot) and limit amperage even below the 12A default so you don't blow any breakers; you'll sometimes lose a little charge to the battery heaters overnight in really cold weather but the battery will be warm and ready to quick-charge in the morning.

All is your feedback is very clear and consistent: when in very cold temps, attempt to charge only after battery has been warmed through sufficient driving. Wasn't made known to me before - so I hope this thread has been helpful to others in northern climates who dont otherwise have access to overnight chargers.

I think this is a key message that needs to be communicated over and over again.

Hopefully on your next road trip you can choose hotels with overnight charging options also. I think it's also worth mentioning to those hotels that do provide EV charging options that one of the reasons you choose them is because of the charging option.