TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cold weather package "retrofit"

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by PacManMX, Sep 10, 2016.

1. PacManMX

PacManMX Member

Given that Tesla enables/disables multiple features (HA charger, door auto open, autopilot, etc...) via software, I was wondering if the hardware is in place for heated steering wheel and rear seats if the cold weather package isn't ordered. I don't live in a cold climate so didn't order but some mornings it's nice to have a heated steering wheel. If the hardware is there I'm wondering if it's possible to find the relay and manually trigger. Overall it's low value to me but I'm the tinkering type and think it would be a fun project if it doesn't involve something crazy like removing the whole steering wheel.

2. Maaz

Maaz Member

Having heated seats in all 7 seats is a dream. My passengers are always happy. Before in the model s they would fight for the front passenger seat to have heated seats.

3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

What??

Perpetually at 35-44F and rainy doesn't count as cold weather?

• Funny x 1
  4. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Yes it does. We live just up the road from the OP and I've already turned our Leaf's climate control timer on since my daughter said it was cold in the mornings last week when she left for school in it. I also recently turned on the rear heated seats for my kids in the Tesla since they said they were cold. They will get a lot of use from now until June -- not by me except when it gets real cold, but by my wife and kids who get cold easily or just like the added comfort of heat.

But to answer the OP's question, I highly doubt if the steering wheel and rear seats are simply disabled, since any disabled options are available to be unlocked for a price by Tesla. They won't put in extra hardware and not try to sell it. That makes no sense at all.

5. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

I paid the extra $1000 just for the heated steering wheel and I live in LA! My daily commute involves one of the canyons which routinely gets down near freezing in the winter. I couldn't imagine not having the heated steering wheel, unfortunately for you I'm fairly certain it needs to be installed at the factory and isn't an "unactivated" feature. But for the right price anything is possible, right?