Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather stopping all charging... Not sure how to deal with this.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think something is wrong with your car... I'd consider getting it checked out. The supercharger will heat the battery until it can charge. You should not have to run heat to enable charging. Get some videos/time stamps of this occurring.

This!

Call Tesla Service, or use the app, to mark the time and date, as this will help their remote diagnostic team fix the problem, and order parts, in advance of any mobile service visit(s).

Resurrecting this thread to see if there are suggestions for our situation: Our S is in the driveway and is displaying a red charging ring. We can't get the car to release the charging cable.

We've been subjected to rolling blackouts since Monday; however, our power is on now and has been since late last night. The charging ring is still displaying red and we still can't get the car to release the charging cable.

We've cycled power in the car using the touchscreen and cycled power on the wall unit by tripping the breaker, to no avail.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how we can get the car to let go of the charging cable and/or get happy again so that it actually starts charging?

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread to see if there are suggestions for our situation: Our S is in the driveway and is displaying a red charging ring. We can't get the car to release the charging cable.

We've been subjected to rolling blackouts since Monday; however, our power is on now and has been since late last night. The charging ring is still displaying red and we still can't get the car to release the charging cable.

We've cycled power in the car using the touchscreen and cycled power on the wall unit by tripping the breaker, to no avail.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how we can get the car to let go of the charging cable and/or get happy again so that it actually starts charging?

There's a manual release inside the trunk -- that'll get you unlatched.

Now that said -- what charger are you using? Sometimes the Wall Connector needs a reset. There's a reset button on the side of the Wall Connector - hold it in for 5 seconds until it restarts and shows green lights. Try this AFTER you get the connector detached.

If you're using a Mobile Connector, just unplug it from the wall, let it sit for 10 seconds and plug it back in.

Good luck!!

Not in an older Model S......

Yes, this is a March 2015 build of a P85. Does it have the manual release?

Time passes...

No, mine is different. I have the same cover on the backside of the chargeport assembly but the switch shown in the video is not present.

(My P85 is a unicorn. It was a Tesla rebuild, produced a few months after they officially discontinued the P85.)

More time passes:

I was able to solve the problem by resetting the wall connector. Even though I cycled power to the wall connector using the breaker, apparently actually using the "Reset" button resets it in a more complete way. This solved the problem and the car released the charging cable and now is charging properly after I plugged it in again.

Last edited:
As for the heat, if I turned it off, it would say "charging unavailable at this time" and disconnect the charger. And no, honestly I haven't opened the app in whats probably been weeks.
I'm just guessing here (as a new Tesla owner myself), but have you tried a different supercharger, or even a public charger? Maybe there's an issue with that particular charger.

Did you try pushing the button just to the left of the charge port?
unlatch.png

Yes, this is a March 2015 build of a P85. Does it have the manual release?

Time passes...

No, mine is different. I have the same cover on the backside of the chargeport assembly but the switch shown in the video is not present.

(My P85 is a unicorn. It was a Tesla rebuild, produced a few months after they officially discontinued the P85.)

More time passes:

I was able to solve the problem by resetting the wall connector. Even though I cycled power to the wall connector using the breaker, apparently actually using the "Reset" button resets it in a more complete way. This solved the problem and the car released the charging cable and now is charging properly after I plugged it in again.

First of all, that's really cool! A true unicorn indeed; if you have time, how did that come about?

Secondly, even happier that the WC reset worked. They can be finicky at times... one of ours was NOT playing nice with our Model X for a little while -- that seems to have settled down with the 2020.48.x firmware, so I'm keeping a watchful eye on it.

Very bizarre that you'd have the "escape hatch" in the trunk, but no lever on the backside of the charging port. That's a real mishmash of parts there!

My AP1 2016 S didn't have it. weird.
If it had an auto-close charge port door, it had the button. You just probably didn't know it was a button as it looks like a rubber bumper for the door. They didn't actually enable the button functionality until the end of 2020...but it's been there over 6 years. When I read the release notes a few months back, I ran to the garage and confirmed it was actually a functional button. I then actually used it a couple weeks later since I couldn't unplug the Supercharger plug at a couple stops during a road trip. I've since used it at home a couple of times when the wall connector wouldn't disconnect.

If it had an auto-close charge port door, it had the button. You just probably didn't know it was a button as it looks like a rubber bumper for the door. They didn't actually enable the button functionality until the end of 2020...but it's been there over 6 years. When I read the release notes a few months back, I ran to the garage and confirmed it was actually a functional button. I then actually used it a couple weeks later since I couldn't unplug the Supercharger plug at a couple stops during a road trip. I've since used it at home a couple of times when the wall connector wouldn't disconnect.

I did the same, but by then I had a Raven X, so I was pretty sure it actually was a button. I use it all the time now. LOL

First of all, that's really cool! A true unicorn indeed; if you have time, how did that come about?

We bought an inventory P85 and later discovered that the car had been wrecked and repaired while it was a service loaner. Apparently, that information had been lost by the time the car was listed for inventory sale so the previous wreck wasn't disclosed to us when we bought it. We learned about this due to an unrelated incident when the service center damaged the paint while the car was in for routine service. When all this came to light, Tesla offered to replace the car with a brand new rebuild. As such, we have what is quite likely the last P85 made, built in March 2015. AP1 had come out by that time and Tesla kindly included AP in the build so it's one of the very few P85's with AP, too.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
We bought an inventory P85 and later discovered that the car had been wrecked and repaired while it was a service loaner. Apparently, that information had been lost by the time the car was listed for inventory sale so the previous wreck wasn't disclosed to us when we bought it. We learned about this due to an unrelated incident when the service center damaged the paint while the car was in for routine service. When all this came to light, Tesla offered to replace the car with a brand new rebuild. As such, we have what is quite likely the last P85 made, built in March 2015. AP1 had come out by that time and Tesla kindly included AP in the build so it's one of the very few P85's with AP, too.

That’s a heck of a long way to end up with a kickass car, but end up with it you did!! Glad to see they made it right.