Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather tire pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone enquired with Tesla about the ability to use nitrogen in the tires?
Nitrogen inflation in on-road tires is pretty close to a scam. There are legitimate reasons for using nitrogen in underground applications and aircraft where you don't want to add oxygen to the mix should a fire break out. Racers also use nitrogen to fine tune the suspension to get that last 1/100th of a second lap time decrease (because it's guaranteed to be dry). But for normal road use, it doesn't add anything.

We have had our first single digit temperatures of the season the past few days. Today I had a low tire pressure warning. All 4 tires were at 39 lbs. I used my compressor to inflate all to about 44 lbs. Anyone else have this happen? I don't remember this last winter.
This is perfectly normal. Just set the pressures on a cold morning so that you don't drive under inflated. Note that if you are inflating indoors where it's warmer than the outside, be sure to add some additional pressure to compensate.

I just completed another trip to Mammoth. The nighttime temps dropped to single digits. At sea-level, I inflated my tires to 46, which hit 50 PSI while on the road, dropping to 42 by the time I arrived and the tires cooled.